Discuss Adult apprentice rate of pay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I recently started as an adult apprentice and my employer pays the statutory minimum wage for apprentices, so £4.30 per hour (as of this year) for the first year, then full minimum wage for my age once I've completed the first year.

The government website is pretty clear on minimum wages for apprentices, although some employers may choose to pay more.

What is not completely clear for me is what constitutes completing the first year, if it's being employed for 1 year, or having completed and passed first year modules at college.

I recently started as an adult apprentice and my employer pays the statutory minimum wage for apprentices, so £4.30 per hour (as of this year) for the first year, then full minimum wage for my age once I've completed the first year.

The government website is pretty clear on minimum wages for apprentices, although some employers may choose to pay more.

What is not completely clear for me is what constitutes completing the first year, if it's being employed for 1 year, or having completed and passed first year modules at college.
I was told by someone that an adult apprentice gets paid the living wage because they take into account the persons age and that they have a mortgage and young family...what age are you?

Not me blister. The guy says hes 45 then 39.

Never to late either way

You are on about two different people mate - OP said 45, another member said they were 39.

Anyway, I was 26 and got paid nat minimum when I broke in 7/8 years ago, but I had completed level 2&3 2330 and got the 17th all from night school so I was a little more appealing to employers than some - although I still knew bugger all.

I’m 46 and started working as junior for a local electrician back in September when my furlough became redundancy. I’ve taken a number of courses at TS4U and have my wiring regs, part p, initial test and inspect and most recently EV installer certs. I earn £7.50 an hour, which is crippling compared to what we were used to, but buys me countless hours of learning on the job. As soon as I complete 2365 Level 3 with 12-18 months under my belt, I know better money will come.

I’m 46 and started working as junior for a local electrician back in September when my furlough became redundancy. I’ve taken a number of courses at TS4U and have my wiring regs, part p, initial test and inspect and most recently EV installer certs. I earn £7.50 an hour, which is crippling compared to what we were used to, but buys me countless hours of learning on the job. As soon as I complete 2365 Level 3 with 12-18 months under my belt, I know better money will come.
Do you live in scotland? I need to put £280 away every week to cover my direct debits for the month and thats whats putting me off.i could still do a shift or 2 on the lorries at the weekend but i really would have no life

Do you live in scotland? I need to put £280 away every week to cover my direct debits for the month and thats whats putting me off.i could still do a shift or 2 on the lorries at the weekend but i really would have no life
Realistically that is probably the only way. You would end up having no life for maybe 2 years of your apprenticeship. This is what makes it such a hard decision for an adult as it is a lot more of a sacrifice. All you can do if possible is try and save as much as you can for a while to try and tie you over for a year. There really is no easy way sadly.

I live in the USA and we use American currency.
Would you please convert the above £4.30 to dollars?

Rsgaz away pull your wire , I got it wrong ok
Back in the day (showing mee age now!) .
Historically apprentices need not be paid.
The Journeyman or Master taught them their trade.
Agreements between employers and unions then often lead to most apprentices actually being paid a small sum.
When I left school if you did an apprenticeship you were on very low wages and your mates doing "easy jobs" got far more.
You did your 4 or 5 year apprenticeship and then became skilled and got a better wage than your mates.
Apprenticeship or not it was not at all uncommon for folk to leave one employer in the morning and get a different job with a different employer in the afternoon or next day.
Such was life.

You could legally leave school at 15 but "Grammar Schools" etc insisted you stayed on till 16 as part of your contract with the school. I never heard of anyone actually being sued for using their right to leave at 15 but. I imagine, that like in my school they took the view "If you wait that extra year as per your agreement then we will gladly give reports etc to future employers as to your school history and your achievements, if not we will simply say that you attended from one date to the other date!"

That extra year at school knowing I had the legal right to walk out forever with impunity felt great, the only time I actually enjoyed school and at the end I did eventually enforce my right. It was brill to tell the head I was leaving and to see his face drop when he asked if I was staying till the end of the week. I left at midday on a Tuesday and within 4 weeks began an apprenticeship. Brill

Reply to Adult apprentice rate of pay in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net