Discuss I would like some help to bypass a touchscreen climate control (strictly fan speed and vent settings (eg, floor/dash). in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Risky1

DIY
Reaction score
I would like some help to bypass a touchscreen climate control (strictly fan speed and vent settings (eg, floor/dash).

Background - 2003 Acura mdx. For some idiotic reason Acura designed the climate control fan speed and vent configuration into the touch screen. Not a terrible thing but asking for issues.. this is not my issue.
Acura designed the navigation system that runs from a DVD head unit under the passenger front seat, up to the dash screen. Great that's where it should be.

Well, if the navigation unit crashes for any number of reasons and won't load (literally hundreds of threads online about this happening) you cannot access your climate controls. Because if the navigation won't finish booting, the screen won't show your climate controls. You can't shut it off, in plug it, upgrade it, anything. Your out of luck unless you want to pay 3k for a new, but outdated 17 year old navigation system or a used one for a few hundred bucks that will inevitably have the same issue.

So. The Acura also has a few controls up top above the nav screen for temp, defrost, rear control, etc. I would like to simply hook the blower motor and vent control motor to a speed control switch and a 3-4 position switch to change vent settings if possible. By pass the who navigation system and screen completely.

I am thinking it shouldn't be. That hard and if I can install stereo and amp heD units, and other things I should be able to rewire the blower motor. I would just like some coaching on what I should look out for ornis they are issues I am not seeing.

TL;DR
I would like some help to bypass a touchscreen climate control (strictly fan speed and vent settings (eg, floor/dash).

Reply to I would like some help to bypass a touchscreen climate control (strictly fan speed and vent settings (eg, floor/dash). in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net