Discuss I would like To become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mrelectric

Hi Guys,

I am 26 and am looking for a change in career. I am thinking of doing the C&G 2330 lev 2 at a local college, but dont know whether to do full-time or part-time. Because of my age i would rather do the full time 1 year course so i can get qualified a year earlier before i get too old, rather than 2 year part time.

The course starts in september, if i was to do part-time would an employer hire me before the course starts to work 4 days a week as an apprentice.

I would be grateful for any feedback please!

at your age (young as you are )find an employer first, there are plenty posts on trainees struggling to find work if you want to read them

Thanx Guys. I've read the links and am not looking for a fast track course. I feel that there is a lot to learn in this course and would prefer the college route.

I've decided I'm gonna go for the part-time 1 day a week option over 2 years

What would be the best way for me to find an employer? Baring in mind i live in london, which i know for a fact has got plenty of work.

i.e do i pop into electrical wholesalers, leave a C.V etc...

also would anyone know of someone willing to take me on in london?

I did the same thing 2 years ago, starting aged 27.

Be warned now - at your age, you're gonna come up against a lot of rejection - fact is, employers can get money off the government for employing kids, and there's plenty out there that are more concerned with that rather than giving someone a chance who is gonna turn up on time, not chuck a sickie and get their head down and crack on.

Personally I did the one year full time course, and just got a retail monkey job because it was flexible enough to let me do the college stuff. Come the end of the first year I spoke to the bods at college and they managed to hook me up with a one-man-band guy.

It wasn't proper sparky work - I was doing home automation stuff, which - while interesting enough, wasn't really helping me progress that much (although it's another string to my bow now, so it's all good) - however, I was only earning £170 a week, and for a guy our age, sometimes that ain't acceptable.

Luckily for me, I managed to get my feet under the table round the folks, so I survived, but the bottom line is - short term pain for long term gain. Are you willing or able to make those kind of sacrifices? Bear in mind you're probably looking at a minimum of £300 for your first year (level 2), going up to minimum of £700 for your second year (level 3).

Obviously, if you can get a start with a firm who'll let you go on day release and will help pay your way then you're on a winner, but I guess what I'm trying to say is be ready to have to fight for what you want - at your age, it's not gonna be easy and you're gonna have to be ready to take more than a few knockbacks.

Good luck with it fella

excellent post from singlerider he is absolutly right in what he's saying
also consider agy work as mate /labourer just to get contacts in the trade

Yup, it's all about who you know and not necessarily what you know. Same as anything in this crappy ----ry of ours. Just remember - it won't be easy or perhaps interesting ALL the time but it WILL be worth it in the end.

I appreciate the comments guys. And the saying short term pain long term gain is 100% true. I don't mind earning at least £50 a day as a electricians mate, i'll sweep up if i have too. I just need to get my foot in the door.

I need to start trying to find someone to take me on from now, even though the course doesn't start till September. Would it be a good idea to start contacting people now?

Yes.
I was in the same situation as you this time 2 years ago, but not in London. It's never too early to start looking for site work - it took me nearly a year to get my first start.

Best thing to do is go through the phone book calling all the electrical contractors and agencies; nearly all of them will say they don't need anyone, some will ask you to send them a cv, one might even give you a trial!

Get yourself down to construction sites. See if anyone needs an extra pair of hands (electricians of course), show what your worth.

Sounds good. Well I've just signed up at a college to start in September for 1 day a week over 2 years.

So now i really need to start looking for work by putting myself out there. Gonna start ringing every local company, visit sites, speak to friends, drop my c.v into electrical wholesalers....

And hopefully find work sooner, rather then later.

If anyone knows of any in London. PLEASE let me know!

Reply to I would like To become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock