Discuss Iam a DIY' ER! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

essie3

-
Reaction score
I have an old American lamp & am being told different reasons why I can't just change the plug & bulb! I have always understood that the wiring has to be changed as UK is greater than US! because the lamp has metal tubing to attach to the main lamp it needs to be earthed! I have new 3 core,but will I need to change all the switches etc? I would love to find a 'local' electrician who could help me,but they don't exist in central London anymore!

Hi Essie and welcome :) .
Often older lamps had exposed metal parts and unless they are double insulated (with a square inside a square symbol) they need to be earthed for safety.
If you’d like to post a pic of the lamp we could hopefully be a bit more specific.

Hi Essie and welcome :) .
Often older lamps had exposed metal parts and unless they are double insulated (with a square inside a square symbol) they need to be earthed for safety.
If you’d like to post a pic of the lamp we could hopefully be a bit more specific.
I wish I could tried a photo but it won't come out now,sorry & thank you for your help Wilko (lamp is approx 20 yrs old!

I had a similar problem. A customer of mine had an American piece of furniture (drinks cabinet) with a strip light in it.
I changed the plug, the flex and the fitting to a LED strip just to ensure everything was UK specific.

One option I had if I couldn't get the old flex out was to use a low voltage LED tape with the driver on the outside of the cabinet, using the old flex to carry 12v

Reply to Iam a DIY' ER! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock