Discuss Ice cream machine socket rewire Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

all depends on whatever else is on the same circuit. generally a 16A socket would be wired on it's own dedicated radial circuit.

Other outlets could be on the same circuit as this one so downgrading could present a problem. Do as Tel suggests, run in a dedicated circuit for this bit of kit and leave the rest of it alone

Thank you for the very quick reply. So would if i came straight off the consumer unit in 4.0 and used a d-rated breaker would that be enough?

Cheers again

I wouldn't go for 4mm mate unless there are VD issues or any other derating necessities of course

Last edited by a moderator:
hang on........ looking at the link, these machines appear to be 3 phase.

The installation, consumer unit, cable run etc are all unknown quantities to us, although we could second guess what is needed it would be best to get an electrician to check it out, no offense meant when i say your questioning is evident that its not a job for yourself, get an electrician on site to either instruct you or to do the job, too many variants means some answers you get could be misguided, i feel you wanted to initially change a 230v twin socket into a 3ph 16amp outlet means you are well out of your depths, it may be the case your installation dosn't have 3ph... hope you aint bought it yet????

Last edited:
firstly, what is the cable size and protection device rating of the circuit under consideration?

Right so as it's needing a 3p supply your idea of connecting it to a single phase RFC is a none starter mate isn't it:)
You're going to need that dedicated circuit and if the design stage says 4mm then 4mm it is

all depends on whether or not you have the necessary skils/competence to carry out this work. if not, then call in someone who has. i'm out.

Sorry I should have more clearly explained earlier. It is a 3 phase power supply for a shop. The ice cream machine specs are
Power: 3 phase - 50 Hz 400V - 2.6 Kw
I need to get a female 3 pin 16 amp socket installed for it and was initally planning on changing a dedicated 230v twin socket for it.

And despite my best efforts to appear as I know what im talking about, clearly my over confidence is my weakness haha.

Thanks again for your replies

Ill stand corrected here but got the feeling the OP dosn't understand the concept of 3ph from the initial post to his other questions ..... apologies if im wrong but the only advice i will give and hopefully other will follow is get someone in who is qualified to do this job.

EDIT... il re-enforce this post as just re-read your post 18... you clearly dont understand what 3ph and its difference to a 1ph socket is so il re-iterate our advice is get an electrician!!!!!!

Im sorry to say your confidence lacks background on this occasion.

Last edited:

Reply to Ice cream machine socket rewire Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net