Discuss Icelandic Electrical Installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.
I’m just wondering if anyone has done any work in Iceland?
I’ve got a chance of going out there for a while.
The work involves some electrics but by no means, all.
The more sparking I do, the better it’s paid.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Basic differences, cables etc etc would be a great start. And anything else you think is relevant?
FYI It’s a large domestic job and I’m a domestic Sparks.
Many thanks in advance.
Gerry.

Ive lived there .... SO can advise on all that side of it . The only Trade side info is EVERYTHING is done well . Its tightly controlled and none of this "cash in hand " mentality . I was only there for 9 months , 6 of which i was working . They made it clear that I was allowed to work whilst my work visa was been looked at .BUT NOT A CHANCE IN HELL I WOULD BE GRANTED A FULL VISA . They are not fools and can see whats going on in Europe !! The very end of my 6 months .On the day . I Was stopped from working . NIce people "if" slightly boring" . Drop dead stunning women

Basic differences, cables etc etc would be a great start.

It's fairly standard European practice, therefore many details are different to the UK because we're the odd ones out. Many of the fittings, cables etc that we use are unknown elsewhere and vice versa. Some things that we obsess over, e.g. cable derating factors, are often much simplified, and some things that we tend to overlook, such as allocation of responsibilities relative to qualifications within a job, are taken much more seriously.

This chap has a few videos on the subject, raflagnir = electrical wiring. e.g.

If its relevant European standards:

No Final Ring Circuits, all radials, restricted number of sockets, according to cable CSA.
All cables in any circuit to be the same CSA.
RCD's have a restricted number of MCB's.
All single cables in plastic conduit, flexible or rigid, flexible seems to be preferred.
CU location must be accessible, height etc and not enclosed unless clear distance's adhered too.

Can't think of anything else pertinent at the moment, will post if I do.

Last edited:
When you think about it our wiring compared to the rest of Europe must seem so alien to them

Rings , they would be like WTF

SWA cable / Pyro Cable , they would be like WTF

Watching Delroy fault finding an old council house , they would be like WTF

Surely they must use armoured cable?

Surely they must use armoured cable?
I have watched loads of vids from Europe and I have never seen anything like SWA over there. The closest thing is round flex wired through a metal bendy conduit like an old shower hose. I think some countries use large SWA type cable for big power circuits and big power distribution but never small stuff

Reply to Icelandic Electrical Installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net