Discuss Ics and Icn: debunking the myth about those little boxes on MCBs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Eh up :)

There are often two boxes on the side/front of BS EN 60898 circuit breakers, BS EN 61009 RCBOs etc, e.g.:

RCBO_markings.JPG

The bottom number is often misunderstood.

The top number is Icn (in amps). In this case, Icn = 6kA.

The bottom number is the energy limiting class. This is referenced in Tables ZA.1 and ZA.2 in BS EN 60898 and Tables ZD.1 and ZD.2 in BS EN 61009. It ultimately refers to the permissible I[SUP]2[/SUP]t (let-through) values for circuit breakers up to and including 63A (types B and C only). In this case, from table ZD.1, because it is a type B 16A breaker and Icn=6kA, class 3 corresponds to a permissible let-through value of 35,000 A[SUP]2[/SUP]s. Without access to these tables, I'm not sure how you'd ever know.

The main thing is...:

The single digit number in the square, underneath the large number in the rectangle, is not Ics (in kA).

For once, despite its faults, the On-Site Guide gives correct information about Icn and Ics.

Table 7.2.7(i) (page 74 in the yellow version) lists values for Ics for a range of values of Icn.

For Icn <= 6kA, Ics = Icn
For Icn >6kA and <=10kA, Ics = (0.75 x Icn) (minimum value: 6kA)
For Icn >10kA, Ics = (0.5 x Icn) (minimum value: 7.5kA)

This is in the BS EN standards ("... the ratio shall be in accordance with [this].")

So:
If you see a rectangle with "6000" in it, then Ics = Icn = 6kA.
If you see a rectangle with "10000" in it, then Ics = 7.5kA, Icn = 10kA.

There have been several posts over the years on this forum and others that propagate the myth that the bottom number, in the square, is Ics (in kA). I've also seen it printed in at least one text book. I will spare the author's blushes as it is otherwise a super, top-notch book (which taught me a lot).

Are we all clear? :)

(A click on "thanks" would be appreciated if this is useful.)

RCBO_markings.JPG

now that's something i didn't know.

Icn = Ic nackered.

Ics = Ic serviceable.

I know it's not the correct spelling for Knackered, but it is how i remember it.

Very informative post Steve as always. Maybe you should get a job writing the regs and make things a bit simpler for the hard working sparks out there.

:shades_smile:

If ics is 6ka and icn is 6ka, is the device a schrodingers protective device? How can something be both serviceable and knackered at the same time?

A good question! :)

Perhaps think of it this way, instead:

Upto Ics, the device will still be serviceable and safe for continued use.
Beyond Icn, the device will be knackered.
If Ics<Icn for a device (e.g. if Ics=7.5kA and Icn=10kA), then if the device experiences a fault current between the two values (e.g. 9kA), then the device should clear the fault (and not explode or fuse together), but may not ever work again.

A good question! :)

Perhaps think of it this way, instead:

Upto Ics, the device will still be serviceable and safe for continued use.
Beyond Icn, the device will be knackered.
If Ics<Icn for a device (e.g. if Ics=7.5kA and Icn=10kA), then if the device experiences a fault current between the two values (e.g. 9kA), then the device should clear the fault (and not explode or fuse together), but may not ever work again.

I tried to think of it like that, but anything over Icn can be dangerous (and even explosive according to books I've read). So in the case of 6kA for both Icn and Ics does this mean anything below 6kA will be serviceable, and anything above 6kA will not only be knackered but will also die in a fiery ball of glory?

I tried to think of it like that, but anything over Icn can be dangerous (and even explosive according to books I've read). So in the case of 6kA for both Icn and Ics does this mean anything below 6kA will be serviceable, and anything above 6kA will not only be knackered but will also die in a fiery ball of glory?

I believe you now have a very good understanding of the issues. :)

So... if there hasn't been a fireball and it still stays up and it passes a current test and Henry still works on it. How do you know if Icn has been exceeded and it needs to be replaced?

ive always been taught the following
Icn - Maximum breaking capacity but may not be suitable for continued use
Ics - service breaking capacity without loss of performance
A good way to remember it Ic-n not serviceable
Ic-s serviceable

Eh up :)

There are often two boxes on the side/front of BS EN 60898 circuit breakers, BS EN 61009 RCBOs etc, e.g.:

View attachment 30871

The bottom number is often misunderstood.

The top number is Icn (in amps). In this case, Icn = 6kA.

The bottom number is the energy limiting class. This is referenced in Tables ZA.1 and ZA.2 in BS EN 60898 and Tables ZD.1 and ZD.2 in BS EN 61009. It ultimately refers to the permissible I[SUP]2[/SUP]t (let-through) values for circuit breakers up to and including 63A (types B and C only). In this case, from table ZD.1, because it is a type B 16A breaker and Icn=6kA, class 3 corresponds to a permissible let-through value of 35,000 A[SUP]2[/SUP]s. Without access to these tables, I'm not sure how you'd ever know.

The main thing is...:

The single digit number in the square, underneath the large number in the rectangle, is not Ics (in kA).

For once, despite its faults, the On-Site Guide gives correct information about Icn and Ics.

Table 7.2.7(i) (page 74 in the yellow version) lists values for Ics for a range of values of Icn.

For Icn <= 6kA, Ics = Icn
For Icn >6kA and <=10kA, Ics = (0.75 x Icn) (minimum value: 6kA)
For Icn >10kA, Ics = (0.5 x Icn) (minimum value: 7.5kA)

This is in the BS EN standards ("... the ratio shall be in accordance with [this].")

So:
If you see a rectangle with "6000" in it, then Ics = Icn = 6kA.
If you see a rectangle with "10000" in it, then Ics = 7.5kA, Icn = 10kA.

There have been several posts over the years on this forum and others that propagate the myth that the bottom number, in the square, is Ics (in kA). I've also seen it printed in at least one text book. I will spare the author's blushes as it is otherwise a super, top-notch book (which taught me a lot).

Are we all clear? :)

(A click on "thanks" would be appreciated if this is useful.)

View attachment 30871
Saved my life!! I've been studying this and could not get to an understanding. Even Chris Kitcher's book.."Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing....etc" Page 146 is a bit vague. Your explanation is crystal clear, thanks again.

Reply to Ics and Icn: debunking the myth about those little boxes on MCBs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock