Discuss Identification of orange armoured cable type in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SW1970

Hi folks, domestic client has original rewireable Wylex main fuseboard, no RCD protection. TN system. Circuit to detached garage is orange armoured. Any thoughts on what the most likely cable type is? See pic of sub board in garage.

image-7 copy.jpg

Thanks, SW

Looks like FP cable going by the pic but I could be wrong. (Same as per normal on topics like this :))

Last edited:
If it is PVC covered MICC cable, it doesn't have the correct gland fitted!!! Really need to see inside the 2 way MEM CU to be sure of what cable it is...

If it is PVC covered MICC cable, it doesn't have the correct gland fitted!!! Really need to see inside the 2 way MEM CU to be sure of what cable it is...

Not sure how you can be so certain, without a close up the gland looks like the type that was used with the crimp on pots that where developed to increase termination speed. There has been various methods developed and discarded to terminate Pyro over the years but the screw on pots and compression glands are the most common type

With regard to cable identification the markings on the gland and / or pot should identify it i.e. 2L1.5 or 2H1.5 etc a 3 digit number would identify as an imperial cable

Not sure how you can be so certain, without a close up the gland looks like the type that was used with the crimp on pots that where developed to increase termination speed. There has been various methods developed and discarded to terminate Pyro over the years but the screw on pots and compression glands are the most common type

With regard to cable identification the markings on the gland and / or pot should identify it i.e. 2L1.5 or 2H1.5 etc a 3 digit number would identify as an imperial cable

Having never seen such glands that you talk of either in the workplace or in publications, i couldn't say!!! The only other system i know of terminating MICC is is the purpose made pot clamping back boxes. So you could all be right, ....but then again, maybe not!! lol!! All i can see from the photo, is that it isn't the standard type gland that i know and love!! ...lol!!!

Hi there, here we go...

image-8.jpg image-9.jpg image-10.jpg

Cable marking is STUB SLV 2.5. No marking on the termination. Client would like this board to be upgraded to a modern garage consumer unit. What's the recommended easiest termination for this one? Client doesn't want fine front garden dug up so have to use this cable otherwise no job :(

Armour is being used as earthing conductor to this board and Zs from here to MET is 0.14ohm.

TBH i have never seen a MICC gland like that before. You could try carefully straightening out the cores and removing the locknut from the inside and lifting the CU off the cable. Fit new CU onto cable then fully test MICC cable before energising again.

Are you planning on using a metal clad CU?

i'd put money on it being pyrotenax 'http://www.tycothermal.com/uk/english/fire_performance_wiring/' not so common now its mainly thermoplastic they use but it was abundant years ago (late 80's) and any sparky doing a favour for a mate would have a couple of glands and an offcut handy

TBH i have never seen a MICC gland like that before. You could try carefully straightening out the cores and removing the locknut from the inside and lifting the CU off the cable. Fit new CU onto cable then fully test MICC cable before energising again.

Are you planning on using a metal clad CU?

It's looking like I might have to to avoid re-doing the termination (which would of course be a better solution). An earthing nut on the inside of an insulated CU is another option if I can get the right size.

The armour of this cable will be earthing conductor to detached garage so I'll have to ensure EFLI is low enough (should be being steel). I'll have to design the distribution circuit and the circuits in the garage but not so worried about that because I can provision the new CU accordingly (demand is minimal).

Is a termination like this required to have a cable gland shroud fitted if the armour is being used as the earth conductor in a distribution circuit? This could be the fly in the ointment if it is.

Circuit will look like:

Henley block in meter cupboard - Isolator with BS3036 in meter cupboard - This orange cable - New garage unit - radial sockets & lighting.

Thanks!

Having never seen such glands that you talk of either in the workplace or in publications, i couldn't say!!! The only other system i know of terminating MICC is is the purpose made pot clamping back boxes. So you could all be right, ....but then again, maybe not!! lol!! All i can see from the photo, is that it isn't the standard type gland that i know and love!! ...lol!!!

Not quite sure what's funny
and whether the mocking is necessary and from your comment you have limited experience of MICC if you have only used or seen the standard type glands

Having lived and worked not far the Pyro factory in Prescot (Did the tour many years ago) the company I worked for got samples of new terminations to try out (how many remember the shrink on pots and earth tails!!!), so I have seen various Pyro termination types as I said in my original post this looked like a crimp on pot that used a modified vice grip plier to crimp the pot onto the cable ( I will have rumage through my old tool boxes and post a pic if I can find it) they used a different gland type similar to that shown

A few of my mums friends worked on the manufacture of the Octopus MICC pre terminated wiring system they were paid on piece work they terminated MI at the rate of 3 mins per end and paid 1p for every end that tested ok

Wow Tony! Thanks very much. Any thoughts on my question: Is a termination like this required to have a cable gland shroud fitted if the armour is being used as the earth conductor in a distribution circuit?

Sorry yes I meant the copper sheath. Clearly it's good practice to shroud but am I required by reg? Can't find anything in the book.

Reply to Identification of orange armoured cable type in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net