Discuss identify service fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Unless such a thing as a rewireable BS1361 fuse exists, in which case it would not be a BS1361 fuse I would guess that is a ruptured fuse which has been "repaired", a long time ago by the look of it.

hi it came from 1920's or 30's house with the seals intact also the fuse carrier has the same washers , so I'm thinking it's not been modified , I'm thinking to replace it with a 40a something ? I've installed a10kw shower onto it so so have to see what happens

If it is a service fuse you shouldn't really be touching it, It belongs to the DNO. The DNO would fit a 60 or 80A. Is this fitted before the meter? Also be aware that it might be asbestos.

The seals clearly aren't intact from the fact that have a picture of the fuse removed from its holder.

What you do is put it back and contact the DNO if you have any concerns about the condition of their equipment.

Don't take it upon yourself to interfere with, repair, replace or 'upgrade' DNO equipment!

hi it came from 1920's or 30's house with the seals intact also the fuse carrier has the same washers , so I'm thinking it's not been modified , I'm thinking to replace it with a 40a something ? I've installed a10kw shower onto it so so have to see what happens

Put it back exactly as it was, do not change anything, contact the DNO if you have any concerns about their equipment.

Like I say, a photo, then someone will have an idea. Everyone's guessing...

The DNO would almost certainly replace the cutout if thats the main fuse.
Would also add that replacing the existing with a newer fuse at a higher rating can go horribly wrong.Not all cut outs are rated for 80 or 100 amps etc...
Have seen images of melted cut outs where somebody put a 100amp in a 60amp rated cut out. numpty had changed the fuse, installed 2 car chargers, and had a couple of power showers...

its fitted back in the carrier and head, i was looking for a part number to put on the cert. it was such a loose fit and I was worried it may get hot with the new shower, so I bent the carrier prongs to make it tight. max fault current was 750A which went upto 850. will get customer to contact dno. help appreciated

its fitted back in the carrier and head, i was looking for a part number to put on the cert. it was such a loose fit and I was worried it may get hot with the new shower, so I bent the carrier prongs to make it tight. max fault current was 750A which went upto 850. will get customer to contact dno. help appreciated

Why would you risk a potential arc-flash incident which could leave you blind or worse, and risk exposure to asbestos containing materials which could kill you very slowly and very painfully just to get a number to put on a piece of paper?

Why not just record it as not verified, carry out your calculations based on the worst case 100A fuse?

Removing service fuses, especially very old ones, can be dangerous and is just not worth the risk for the sake of writing a number on a bit of paper.

I remove them when replacing consumer units also at same time can identify fuse type and size. this was the oldest and worse condition I've done so after some advice.

The advice is don't do it!

If it's that old the DNO operatives who are trained in live working and have the correct PPE will generally not touch it until it has been made dead, so why on earth would you start taking it apart?
Do you have arc-flash protective PPE? Have you been trained in live working techniques?
Do you have permission from the DNO to remove their fuse?
Have you familiarised yourself with DNO and MOCOPA publications on what is considered safe to pull the fuse from and what isn't?

Reply to identify service fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net