Discuss Identifying an RCBO from an RCCB (or RCD) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lawmal

-
Reaction score
Hi, would like your professional opinion how to identify an rcbo from an rccd just by looking at it. For example, I have attached two photos, one the ABB (40A 30mA) is an RCCB and the other ABB (10A 30mA) is an RCBO. Supposedly they are both 40A 30mA, how can you tell which is the RCD from RCBO. Am I right in assuming that one way you can tell because the RCBO always has the Type of load B(resistive),C(inductive) or D(highly inductive) before the Amperage like C10 just like an MCB?
Thanks for your insight.

Attachments

• 83915114_109290820526473_3228958410292592640_n.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 84293561_1365382036968185_37988212639006720_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 44
The one on the left is the rcbo as you can see it is marked c10 which is the current eating and type of the breaker. An RCD will not have a type b,c or d as only devices which provide overcurrent protection have this. So you are right with what you have said.

There are a few things that identify the device.
The manufacturers part number.
The standards it is marked as complying with.
The functional diagram.
In this case the fact the RCBO has a tripping curve and overcurrent rating marked on it, in this case C10. This isn't always a guarantees way of identifying them though.

Well those two are easy, one has a diagram showing a single trip device from around the two main connections - plus a test, so since it doesn't have any other protection, it's a rcd, the other shows the same as this PLUS an overcurrent device in the line connection - so rcd plus overcurrent = rcbo, the diagram on a third one may show only overcurrent, with no device around the two/three/four main connections so overcurrent alone - mcb.

But you need to identify the device specification 61008/9 or 4293 anyway as they have different trip times.

Reply to Identifying an RCBO from an RCCB (or RCD) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net