Discuss Idiots you have worked with in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was Lead on on one particular job, overseas, and I had to arange a handover to a new chap we had so say trained in the particular needs of our working practices,
Any way Matey turned up all bright beyed and bushy tailed ready to set the World on fire.
Showing him around the Switch room, that switch there Mate, don't switch it off unless you have arranged with the client for a down time OK? yeah Fine Pete, no worries, the day I was flying home got a call , better get your arse round here PDQ Mate.
All Hell had broken loose, Matey had switched off without permission, lots of Damage to electronic Kit which needed a phased shut down, some Div knocking a 100Amp 3phase off was not an ideal thing to do, took me 3 days to sort the problem out change my flight and eat humble pie with Her in Doors, as well as arrangeing Matey's demise from his employment, Pillock.

I've done loads of silly things myself, too many to mention. The last one was in my sons house when refurbishing it, stepped off the step ladder forgetting some of the floorboards were up, straight through the living room ceiling. Go it fixed & painted, but you can still see a mark there now :(

i had a 1st year with me on a conservatory job, he was too scared to put his hands up the holes cut out for downlights, no access above, so i basically had to do the job myself with just rods and my fishing skills

he was also scared to go in lofts and under floors, hes now a labourer, not so much an idiot but a career spoiled by something so stupid

if we lived in australia i could understand not putting your hands into lofts with all the poisonous beasties , ive sat and fed a mouse milk on my tea time lol, rats can get to ---- though!

one of the other 3rd years was totally useless, couldnt wire a simple timer fan, so he was relegated by his journeyman to taking the tools in in the morning, then going back to the van till 5pm, clean up all the tools then hometime

i had him with me on a small job to swap over faceplates, so i gave him the sockets to do, nothing can go wrong there right? wrong, earths in with the neutrals, they did have black sleeving on the earth but still.

i had to show him how to push a wheelbarrow up a hill aswell

xmas night out one of the supervisors was chatting to some women at the bar, so this apprentice wanders up and tells him his wife wouldnt be happy if she found out he was talking to women in the bar, 2 seconds later supervisor has him on a table by his throat, felt sorry for the guy so i stepped in and stopped it, dont think hes the full shilling

I dunno, I was sent under the ground floor of a house into the floor void, where the council rat catcher turned up at that day. We were doing a rewire, and I was ordered down there by the electrician, to fish the cables, while remained in the safety of above the floorboards. Nearly phooed myself. Took a lump hammer for protection.

I've done loads of silly things myself, too many to mention. The last one was in my sons house when refurbishing it, stepped off the step ladder forgetting some of the floorboards were up, straight through the living room ceiling. Go it fixed & painted, but you can still see a mark there now :(
Agree Middy, my example was after I had given strict instructions and explanations as to why, your experience was an accident, mine was wanton disregard of instructions, which resulted in Matey getting the Spanish Archer. He had dome stupid things prior to this incident. Thought he knew it all.

I dunno, I was sent under the ground floor of a house into the floor void, where the council rat catcher turned up at that day. We were doing a rewire, and I was ordered down there by the electrician, to fish the cables, while remained in the safety of above the floorboards. Nearly phooed myself. Took a lump hammer for protection.
mice are choir boys compared to rats! i was under a floor that i knew had rats , just as i was passing under the hatch area a bit of plaster fell from the plasterers trowel onto my legs, i was out of the hatch in an instant lol, thought a rat had crawled up my leg!

big fat plumber got called to that job once all the floors were down, one of his pipes burst under the floor, poor bugger lol, glass wool netting under this floor too, so you can imagine how comfortable it is

Agree Middy, my example was after I had given strict instructions and explanations as to why, your experience was an accident, mine was wanton disregard of instructions, which resulted in Matey getting the Spanish Archer. He had dome stupid things prior to this incident. Thought he knew it all.
i dont even turn off peoples socket outlets without asking if they have a pc running lol

had a bit of a delboy and rodney moment with one of the older guys i worked with, removing a chandelier above a staircase

after we set up the scaffold he went up to "test the weight" of the chandy, he lifted it right off the hook and almost fell right off the scaffold , clearly a 2 man chandy but he was bald , so i dont know if that has anything to do with his choices

and to go slightly off topic, for those of you who do have a follicle deficiency on your head, i suggest trying regane for men, a hairdresser done god knows what to my head but a small patch of my head wouldnt grow hair for a year, till i got some regane on there, it took a while but hairs actually re-grew!

wanna know whats worse than being bald? being bald on only a small portion of your head LOL

Fair time back now but asked one of the lads to check a box of BS88 fuses to find a 63A which had not blown and when he hands me one it is duff. He insisted it was good so I got him to show me how he checked it, he placed it on some steel trunking and said see it is good.

i came out of the wholesalers once with a bunch of stuff in my hands, popped the rcd on the roof, put big box in the van, jumped in the van and drove to the job that needed the rcd, went to look for the rcd, then it hit me, its probably somewhere on the road between the wholesaler and where i was currently

ive driven around all day with my snips on the roof of my van and only found them at the end of the day, had a tin of half full irn bru stay on the roof aswell from the wholesaler to a job

i had to make a rule after the rcd one though, NO MATERIALS ON THE ROOF lol

Fair time back now but asked one of the lads to check a box of BS88 fuses to find a 63A which had not blown and when he hands me one it is duff. He insisted it was good so I got him to show me how he checked it, he placed it on some steel trunking and said see it is good.
Classic is that.

Classic is that.

I was on call out during Xmas, I was sent to a house that had no hot water. It was a plumbers job really as it was boiler fed. The young lady with two children was stressed as the appointment for the heating engineer was a week in January. So I tried my luck and bypassed the thermostat and to which the boiler kicked in the heat water. So I gave her some hot water and put everything back to place as it is dangerous to leave thermostat bypassed. I explained that I could not do anything permanent and she just had to wait. After new year I was sent to the offices and got fired because the lady, or her partner, bypassed it again after I had left and told the heating engineer I did it.

Last edited:

Reply to Idiots you have worked with in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net