Discuss ignorance of builders in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
doing work for builders , i had booked myself out few days to other guy and builder seems to think he can just ring me and drop everything for him. he puts no planning into jobs and is just a nutter.

ps when i saaid no on phone for 3rd time he just ripped them out . and then he said he got it sorted could i come connect it back up. he wanted me to put in connector blocks and tape up so they could hide in wall as wasn't much space . i said no chance.

whats wrong with these people.

I worked for one like that. Always got calls at 6ish in the evening that went along the lines of "Got a job for you, need you there frist thing in the morning mate" NOT A CHANCE!!! He used a mate that knows elektrix for a lot of stuff. I ended up telling him to sod off and use his mate in the end. Pain in the backside!

I had one the other day, he asked me if i was interested in taking on some work, i said "yes of course", then he explained that he built alot of extensions and he did his own wiring and he wanted me to sign it off as my own! When i told him no he said "why not? I'll give you £40 a time and it'll only take you ten minutes to fill in the certificates, it's money for nothing"

He expected me to just turn up and write the certs out without testing.......IDIOT!

I had one a few years ago who did not see the necessity of testing. He saw it as me charging him for time doing nothing "My last electrician never used to bother" was the phrase he used. After seeing the standard of most of his work and hearing that phrase once too often I told him to shove his work where the sun don't shine and get his last electrician back.

Rename the thread:

Ignorance Are Builders.

In the few bits of domestic work in did it would be with the masons from work where the electrician was GOD. I never had any trouble with them.
Lay out the ground rules, you’re right, they’re wrong. I suppose being a 17 stone bad tempered sod helped.

doing work for builders , i had booked myself out few days to other guy and builder seems to think he can just ring me and drop everything for him. he puts no planning into jobs and is just a nutter.

ps when i saaid no on phone for 3rd time he just ripped them out . and then he said he got it sorted could i come connect it back up. he wanted me to put in connector blocks and tape up so they could hide in wall as wasn't much space . i said no chance.

whats wrong with these people.

I'm sorry i=p/u but it really is a struggle to understand what the hell you are on about at times....'he just ripped them out'.....ripped what out?

Not all builders are idiots. A lot are yes. But then a lot of electricians are idiots too, as is clearly evident on this forum.

I wouldnt say builders are idiots on the contrary you will never come across another creature as cunning,i have worked for a fair few and tbh it was work i needed at the time but the daily hissy fits because pulling a few cables in was taking too long,constant payment dodging/juggling,they pay you enough off what they owe to keep you interested for the next job and there is always that big job they got coming up for 20 new builds that never comes off but you are first on the list when it does,a good builder will have the same contacts /tradesmen with him for years if you come across one that always looking there is going to be a good reason.Remember a sparkie can earn a living without a builder a builder much to his annoyance cant say the same.

The builder I'm working for doesn't understand anything. Not with the electrical trade. With all trades. His favourite one is " I can't see the f ING problem".

Why can't you run cables with hot pipes? Where's the problem? just get on and do it !!

Q Why can't you put the power to the lights on?
A. Because not all of the lights are fitted yet.
" why aren't they? " because the client has asked for them to go on at the end so they don't get all dusty.

I can't see what the problem is why can't you just get on and do it.

Haha. I just ignore him now. Although he has got better since I told him " to go do one" and put all my tools in van the other week

I actually went the whole hog and knocked one of my builders spark out,being 17 stone and growing up scrapping with your brothers comes in handy at times, needless to say he still owes me money i will never get but at the time under the circumstances and the undue pressure i was put under it felt bloody good,i doubt any court in the land would convict if they met the spineless twonk.

Builders aren't as bad as plasterers........

Working a large job and I get a call one day saying I need to get on site as they need this room finished totally out the blue. The only reason was for the builder to show the customer that he did some work and get some money but as I was quiet I turn up, being what is was I had hardly any tools or materials with me but managed to get into a position where they can continue their work, but oh no, not the bloody plasterer!!

"i dont touch cables" was his word when he just needed to pull some cables when putting up some boards, had to drive to wholesaler 30 min away and get clips and JB's just because this guy didn't touch cables.
When the job was close to finish and I was second fixing me the builder, customer, and plasterer were all in one room talking about the job and the type of sockets and what not he was using, well I go over to a wall to put a switch on and ask when it will be finished, builder looks at me like "WTF"

"All the plaster in the sockets and switches, I'm an electrician I don't touch plaster" was my response, he was there for 4 days removing all the plaster from back boxes and charged him a day's work for pulling in new cables after he nicked a core in which he also needed to fix several holes I had to make.

I still get mad thinking about his attitude, when working on site you just learn to work with other trades and different people, but this guy thought the whole world turned on his plastering.

Reply to ignorance of builders in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock