Discuss I'll be at ELEX, Exeter, Today (Thurs) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
....and if anyone else is and fancies a beer then PM me, I'll pick it up on my phone.

R.

I was there yesterday, just seen your post. Anything take your fancy? Seem a bit quiet compared to last year? Bought a twin hitachi drill set for £199 which was a bargain. I was impressed with the lad who has designed a new type of junction box for lighting (can't remember the name, will have to dig the brochure out).

Chuff all there apart from tool shops if you ask me! I went with a group from my wholesalers and he was buying us pub lunch by 12.30!! Only upside was a good deal on a Leica laser kit.

Surewire was the name of the lighting junction box. All prewired with wago connectors, looks like it could be a useful addition especially when doing spot lights.

One company I worked for bought me a hitachi drill. It died within three months of doing normal day to day work, replaced under warranty the next one lasted about the same time. I had killed three of them by the end of the year!

One company I worked for bought me a hitachi drill. It died within three months of doing normal day to day work, replaced under warranty the next one lasted about the same time. I had killed three of them by the end of the year!

a workmates dewalt died like that, they really abuse all there gear though.

Ive had a makita 451 for two years and its never let me down.

Ill be swapping it if it is not compatable with the new 5amp batteries though (will still keep it but the newer versions are a lot more compact so better for day to day use)

I thought the surewire junction box was a good idea but maybe test the circuits before u finish hiding the box under some floor or under a loft has the potential for the light switch in bedroom one turning on the kitchen lights if you happen to put the switch wire in the wrong terminal but the idea is good but just a remake of the old octopus electrical box, show gets smaller every year hasneen the same since Hilti pulled out

They look ridiculous in my opinion, nothing you can't achieve with an RB4 and some wago's without the expense and a hell of a lot more flexible.

I don't bother with any of them! Stash of mini dappy boxes and a handful of wago's = cheaper and more flexible. Every time.

What mini dappy boxes to you use?

I use RB4s because that's what my mentor used, and I use them for boilers and since half my work seems to be boilers at the moment I always have one handy.

Wilts do some own brand 3 x 3 x 2 sort of size ones with pop-off lids for around a quid a time, so one of those plus maybe four wago's (I use the Ideal Line ones, not genuine Wago's as they're also cheaper) is no more than £1.30 ish. You can easily make 5-6-7 cable MF junctions in seconds, no hassle!

Best drill I've ever had was a spit SDS, it took everything that was thrown at it and didn't miss a beat.

The hitachi I mentioned was an sds too.
I had a spit many years ago,the only fault with the early ones were they used their own type of sds fitting,so a standard bit wouldn't fit and you had to buy theirs,basically it had a groove opposite a slot,whereas a standard sds has 2 opposing grooves and 2 opposing slots,they soon altered that though.and made them take a normal sds.From then on as you say they were brilliant.

I had a spit many years ago,the only fault with the early ones were they used their own type of sds fitting,so a standard bit wouldn't fit and you had to buy theirs,basically it had a groove opposite a slot,whereas a standard sds has 2 opposing grooves and 2 opposing slots,they soon altered that though.and made them take a normal sds.From then on as you say they were brilliant.

I think you mean they were

an sds chuck

what everyone calls an sds/sds chuck

is actually an sds+

the big drills use sds max bits etc

What's an rb4?!

fancy chockbox

J701.jpg

Firstly I may be confusing the issue by calling them RB4's, they went out of production a few years ago and were replaced by the J701.
The RB4 was a square joint box made by BICC with a screw in each corner to hold the lid on
The J701 is a rectangular joint box made by Ashley and has only 2 screw to hold the lid on.

Reply to I'll be at ELEX, Exeter, Today (Thurs) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net