Discuss Illuminated mirror with shaver socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Andysparky

Hi Guys

Been asked to price install of illuminated mirror with shaver socket in bathroom, would normally wire into lighting circuit with RCD protection, however consumer unit only part rcd protected, you guessed no rcd on any lighting circuits, but upstairs ring circuit RCD protected, with socket on adjacent wall my idea is to install fuse spur off ring which will supply illuminated mirror and shaver, has i cant find anything in BGB about shavers on lighting circuit can somebody please tell me if there is a reg I am missing. Obviously easiest method would be to install RcBO in con unit for lights then wire as normal, but at the moment the customers lights are not working already in parts of the upstairs, when i offered to fault find this for him, his reaction was give me a price for the mirror then well look at the upstairs lights after, this is why I am working on a different way of doing at the moment.

Make certain if the fitting is going in zone 1 or 2, that the IP rating is at least IPX4.
I was quite supprised the other day to discover, not all of these types of fittings are IPX4.

Old thread I know, and maybe this has changed with amendment 1, but in case anyone might find this useful:

Reg 701.512.2 states that the requirement for IP ratings does not apply to shaver units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5, fitted in zone 2, as long as it is installed where direct shower spray is unlikely. Of course the situation is probably different with regard to the illuminated mirror...

I am installing a shaver socket on a currently un-RCD protected circuit soon, but will probably move the MCB over to the RCD side of the CU as there are spare ways there. Of course there were shaver sockets in bathrooms long before RCDs were even invented, and it is legitimate (perhaps even expected) to follow the regs that were in place at the time the installation was originally wired, but then perhaps they had to be outside the zones? Would be interesting to know - my 5 day wonder course only covered the 17th edition!

Good point; reckon I'll definitely move that MCB over to the RCD side as all other circuits are already RCD protected. The plumbing is all plastic so no need to supplementary bond that but the circuits should of course be bonded to each other (in the absence of RCD protection). Pretty sure they are not currently sup. bonded.

i'd definitely be fitting RCD protection. CYA.

Reply to Illuminated mirror with shaver socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock