Discuss Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tynan2020

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there . . . .

First up I'd just like to say I'm a long time forum member, but have not logged in for ages (a couple of years at least) and my account seems to have disappeared, had to register again. Not sure what happened to my account, but just to say that I am an amateur at this stuff, I know enough to not kill myself : ) which is why I come here for advice from people who've kept themselves alive while dealing with 240v every day !

I've got an illuminated rocker switch (see image below) - SPST, with three terminals . . .

Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! switch - EletriciansForums.net

. . . I was hoping to wire it up so that it lit up when switched on.

I am using it to connect a simple live and neutral wire connection (see excellent illustration below) this is all taking place inside an audio effects unit, the switch simply needs to connect the live to the neutral to turn the unit on - the live wire is carrying 240v (well my multimeter says 244v, but I assume that's 240v) . . .

Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! wires - EletriciansForums.net

Here's my issue, depending on which terminals I use, I can get the switch to turn the built in light on and off . . . or turn the power to the unit on and off (connect live and neutral) . . . but not both at the same time . . . . connecting live to the centre terminal and neutral to one of the outside terminals lights up the switch (but doesn't power the unit), connecting live to the centre terminal again and neutral to the opposite outside terminal powers up the unit . . . but no light.

Is there a clever wiring trick known to seasoned electricians to have this type of switch turn the power on (connect live and neutral) while at the same time turning the light on ?

Any input really appreciated (and yes, before you ask, you can use my wire illustration for your own posts).

Lee.

You are not going to be able to switch the unit on by only having a live and neutral at the switch. The neutral only serves to supply the neon indicator, for the switch to function it will require a live in and a live out so three wires.

What he said ^^^^^. It's a single pole switch. Do you actually need to switch the neutral?

There are double pole versions, but I don't think you will need one.

You are not going to be able to switch the unit on by only having a live and neutral at the switch.

Cheers for the reply westward10.

I've probably not explained myself very well . . . I am able to switch the unit on - ('unit' = device this switch is controlling) - if I connect the live and neutral in the correct way . . . hold on, time for another of my excellent high quality illustrations . . .

Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! switch - EletriciansForums.net

The neutral only serves to supply the neon indicator, for the switch to function it will require a live in and a live out so three wires.

I suspected something like that, I've been reading up a little about all the various switches DPDT, DPST, SPST and all that kind of thing, and even though I don't quite get it, I get the idea that it can be a little more complex than a simple on/off with a bulb in the middle to light up the switch !

Thanks for your input, much appreciated !

One quick question, is there a type of switch that would work in this kind of situation, connect the live to neutral while also lighting up at the same time ?

Cheers

Lee
[automerge]1596187108[/automerge]
What he said ^^^^^. It's a single pole switch. Do you actually need to switch the neutral?

There are double pole versions, but I don't think you will need one.

Cheers for your reply DPG !

I have got a bunch of different rocker switches lying around, DPDT, DPST (and so on), I've always used them as simple switches, to basically bridge a break in a wire, so not really using their full functionality (lack of knowledge on my part), but I was hoping to get this one to light up when switched on . . . . do you reckon I might have more luck with a different version, like a double pole version . . . or is my limiting factor the fact that I am working with just a live and neutral wire ?

Thanks for any input ?

Lee

Last edited:
Ah I see what you mean. Right, one pin is live in, one is load out and the other is neutral. It won't work with just 2 wires.

Don't know how it works at all if those wires are live and neutral. Connect them across the two switched terminals you have a dead short.

I'm confused. It should work ok unless I've misunderstood.

I thought you said : "Right, one pin is live in, one is load out and the other is neutral. It won't work with just 2 wires." . . .

. . . and I'm only working with the two wires . . . so it's not going to work . . . and by 'work' I mean switch the device on and off while also have the switch's built in light turn on and off.

Sorry if I've confused something here !

Don't know how it works at all if those wires are live and neutral. Connect them across the two switched terminals you have a dead short.

Live to one end, switched live probably centre. Remaining pin is the neutral return for the neon.

I thought you said : "Right, one pin is live in, one is load out and the other is neutral. It won't work with just 2 wires." . . .

. . . and I'm only working with the two wires . . . so it's not going to work . . . and by 'work' I mean switch the device on and off while also have the switch's built in light turn on and off.

Sorry if I've confused something here !

No, it won't work with 2 wires connected. Definitely not.

He says it switches the unit on, how can it with just a live and neutral at the switch.

Yeah I don't know why he wants to do it with two wires. No chance. Surely the equipment has live and neutral connections available in it though??

He says it switches the unit on, how can it with just a live and neutral at the switch.
Yeah I don't know why he wants to do it with two wires. No chance. Surely the equipment has live and neutral connections available in it though??

Hi westward10 and DPG . . .

Here are a couple of snaps . . . not sure if this makes it any clearer.
Obviously the face plate and lid is taken off the unit, but basically the power switch would be on the front - poking through the face plate.

(don't worry I am not connecting this to the mains like this, with the wires just dangling close to the chassis, this is just to take the photos)

Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! A - EletriciansForums.netIlluminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! B - EletriciansForums.net
Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! C - EletriciansForums.net
Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! D - EletriciansForums.net

No, won't work like that unfortunately. As I say, it's possible, but not with just 2 wires.

No, won't work like that unfortunately. As I say, it's possible, but not with just 2 wires.

Ok, no problem, at least I've learned a couple of things today.

I'm going to do some research / study on how these illuminated switches work as I really am out of my depth, I will come back stronger and better and, in time, grow to be one of Europe's most powerful sources of live and neutral wire illustrations.

Cheers for the input from both you and westward10 !

Appreciated
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lee

If you're still in doubt about how the switch/neon works, have a Google and you should be able to find a diagram or example. It will make sense when you see it as a picture.

what i can't grasp from the pictures in post#15 is that the socket on the PCB appears to be a L and N input, so connecting a switch across then will do nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock