Discuss Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

what i can't grasp from the pictures in post#15 is that the socket on the PCB appears to be a L and N input, so connecting a switch across then will do nothing.
It looks to me like a standard iec plug into the back of the unit. The live then goes to the plug that the OP has attached the brown and blue wires to, the blue being the switched feed for the unit. By connecting the brown and blue to the switch connections the blue (should be sleeved brown) become live, makes the circuit and turns the unit on. When he's connecting the neon side of the switch the live supplies the live(!) and the circuit forms the return path. The unit won't turn on as the neon won't pass enough to power the circuitry. As a well know meerkat would say, simples :)

ahh so the photo shows the plug and socket for the switch... then all he needs to do is find a neutral inside the unit and link it to the 3rd terminal of the switch. obviously having determined which terminal is which on the switch.

Yes but without a meter to test for neutral and not knowing the OPs soldering ability it's not something I would recommend he does.

ahh so the photo shows the plug and socket for the switch... then all he needs to do is find a neutral inside the unit and link it to the 3rd terminal of the switch. obviously having determined which terminal is which on the switch.

That's what I said!

I can't believe how long this went round and round in circles. If joining the brown and blue wires turns the unit on, the blue is not a neutral, it's the switched line as per Moley above (although, as it is inside equipment where BS7671 does not apply, I wouldn't expect it to be sleeved brown).

I don't think it has been said explicity but it looks like the OP is replacing a non-illuminated switch (for which the line and switched line are present at the connector on the PCB) with an illuminated one (which also needs a neutral that is not present). To power the neon, as per Telectrix, a neutral needs to be got (perhaps from the terminals of the IEC inlet, where they project through the PCB).

The equipment is being modified and its safety approvals rendered void, therefore the modifier takes on significant responsibility for safety and compliance. Whatever happens, it must be made practically safe, and an internet forum cannot possibly convey all the details required to guarantee that. I would respectfully suggest that doing modifications to mains-powered equipment by guesswork and experiment, without first being acquainted with the circuit and parts one is attempting to wire up, is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Agree about the circling. The neon is getting a return via the pcb.

I can't believe how long this went round and round in circles. If joining the brown and blue wires turns the unit on, the blue is not a neutral, it's the switched line as per Moley above (although, as it is inside equipment where BS7671 does not apply, I wouldn't expect it to be sleeved brown).

I don't think it has been said explicity but it looks like the OP is replacing a non-illuminated switch (for which the line and switched line are present at the connector on the PCB) with an illuminated one (which also needs a neutral that is not present). To power the neon, as per Telectrix, a neutral needs to be got (perhaps from the terminals of the IEC inlet, where they project through the PCB).

The equipment is being modified and its safety approvals rendered void, therefore the modifier takes on significant responsibility for safety and compliance. Whatever happens, it must be made practically safe, and an internet forum cannot possibly convey all the details required to guarantee that. I would respectfully suggest that doing modifications to mains-powered equipment by guesswork and experiment, without first being acquainted with the circuit and parts one is attempting to wire up, is not a good idea.

Think I pretty much covered it in posts 5 and 10 though.

Think I pretty much covered it in posts 5 and 10 though.
You did, but not everyone noticed.

Reply to Illuminated Rocker Switch Conundrum !?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock