Discuss i'm a wanna be electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

redrob

Hi, I'm in need of a bit of advice. I am 35, and live in the Manchester area and i want to become a domestic electrician. I have looked at some home learning courses like the olci etc, but I'm not sure that £6000 is a wise investment when I am only doiny 25 days of practical learning. I have also looked at night school, although this is a lot cheeper, I don't know if I can wait 3 Years in my present job! I have asked a couple of local sparks about becoming a sparkys mate, but in the present climate theres not a lot happening.
I wanted to train as an electrician when I left school, but other opportunities came my way, which I now regret. Also I have a freind who is a Builder and he is encouraging me to do it becouse he needs an eletrician for some of his jobs.
So basically, do i go the quick and expensive route, or the take my time and hope I can join an electrician as a mate/ trainee as soon as poss.
Any advice will be very welcome.

If you've got 6k spare and are guaranteed a job then it may be worth considering it.

Personally I'm all for the college route whilst seeking employment as mate/labourer.

Speak to Shakey. He teaches these courses though he is based in Cardiff. Access Training Wales.

Many thnks Bane, I think its the best way too.

If anyone knows of someone who wants a trainee / mate, can you please contact me.

Many Thanks.

1) Get on Yell.com, pull out the Yellow Pages
2) Find, "Electricians" and "Electrical Contractors/Engineers"
3) Phone them. E-mail them your CV and covering letter. Visit them in person.
4) Once you've covered A-Z. Start again.
5) Visit electrical wholesalers and industrial estates with your CV (ask to place a notice for work wanted)
6) Visit building sites, ask around. Even if you get on as a labourer your 'in' and then you have access to all those other trades working on the site.

Keep us posted!

HI, thanks for the welcome.
I've been to all the local colleges that do the part time courses, and they are all booked up untill next year! With possibly one exeption, who many start a course in Feb 09 if they can get the numbers.
I don't know ifI can sit for a year doing nothing, nobody is going to employ me if I am not even on the course yet! So the home leaning course is starting to look a bit better.

It took me 4 years to be an electrician on **** money, it used to be called an apprenticeship, now it cost £2000 or so in 6-months, sounds like a bargain to me, you will get that back with a couple of domestic rewires.

A bit of useful information for you. Im not sure spending 6K on a course is very wise at the moment. What I would do if I was you, is to find an electrician and shadow or just labour for him/her. This way your gaining on the job experience and getting a good knowledge of basic electrical work. It doesnt have to be on a permanent basis, just say at a weekend or equivalent. Then when your ready or you think being an electrician is for you (it can be a very dirty job) then you should enroll for the 17th edition 2382 and although not compulsory 2392 inspection and test. I personally would go back in another 12 months to take your 2392 exam. This way your saving a load of cash and getting a better education than just being force fed information in a classroom for 6 weeeks, and at the end of the course you still could have not passed any exams. Good luck :)

A bit of useful information for you. Im not sure spending 6K on a course is very wise at the moment. What I would do if I was you, is to find an electrician and shadow or just labour for him/her. This way your gaining on the job experience and getting a good knowledge of basic electrical work. It doesnt have to be on a permanent basis, just say at a weekend or equivalent. Then when your ready or you think being an electrician is for you (it can be a very dirty job) then you should enroll for the 17th edition 2382 and although not compulsory 2392 inspection and test. I personally would go back in another 12 months to take your 2392 exam. This way your saving a load of cash and getting a better education than just being force fed information in a classroom for 6 weeeks, and at the end of the course you still could have not passed any exams. Good luck :)

Good advice.
Can you take the 17th Edition without having 2330 though?

Yes you dont need 2330 to take 2382 (17th Edition) likewise for 2392. NICEIC take people on board with just 2381 or 2382! As long as your a Competent person!

Hi Redrob,

Your story is very similar to mine, I plumped for a home learning course, I wont say which one, but it cost me 6K. By the time you factor in accomodation for the 4 weeks I was away, food and beer you are talking about another 1.5K. To be honest they just wanted to get you to pass the course, they didn't teach much practical stuff so you ended up buddy learning from others on the course.
I would have been better off working for free as a sparkies mate for 2 - 3 months and then doing the 2382 course, you would end up qualified enough to get accredited and would be far better off in terms of job knowledge.
I would echo the comments of others on the site that working as a mate (if you can) and studying part time would definitely be the way to go, but if the work aint there and you need to make the change as I did, then these courses will get you qualified.
Good luck whichever way you go, if you want to know more about the course I did I think you can contact me privately if you want, not too sure as this is only my 3rd post.
Cheers

After being in college for 6 weeks on this years course of 2330 i have no idea how you could learn the whole of this course in a shorter time.... My old fella is a spak even my tutor said these 6k courses are scandalous, i myself firmly believe especially in a trade like electrics that you need to go to college as it is so in depth

Hi, Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I've put my name on the waiting list at all the local colleges. There is one college starting a course in feb, so hopefully I'll start then. Untill then I'll keep looking to see if anyone needs a mate / trainee.
Thanks again for all the advice.

just for reference you need to do an nvq 3 if you want to work on decent sized sites. Good luck with your job it isnt all wiring and connecting 80% is routing cables chopping out and fitting containment.

hi i am in the same situation as you more or less i am same age 35 and i have just recently passed my 2330 at salford college manchester.i would also like to start off as an electricians mate or labourer but in todays climate it is extremely difficult.i would appreciate it if there is anybody who is looking for an electrcians mate to e-mail me also must be based in manchester area.i am also going to progess onto to do the 17th editon and city and guilds 2391 at the same college in september this year.

RedRob
I was in same boat last year...started 2330 nightschool, 2x nights per week. But don't think it ends there! I am now completing 2nd year with exams in 4 weeks. I am studying 2x nights college & 2x nights at home going over course notes & familiarising with Regs & Onsite Guide etc. There is SOOOOOOOOO Much in way of theory as to compliancy that I cannot see a 6 weeker getting you this kind of info.

I did first year without Experience & in January this year got in with a Spark as a Mate...I've learnt more this week practically than last year at college. It's not a fast track to financial richness! I've halved my salary to do this & I'm under no illusions it will take a good few years to see that previous level of money come back.

But I'm enjoying every minute & wished I'd dne this ages ago...however, do yourself a favour, take the longhaul. You'll be better off knowledge wise & employers will recognise that you are prepared to graft & work at gaining a reputable standard for yourself.
Hope this is a useful insight
Cheers

Hi all, bit older than most (50+) but after 30 years in another career decided that a change was needed. Luckily i do not have the financial pressure that some might have. Anyway decided to go the full-time college route £450 approx for first year (inc exam fees) of c&g 2330 and really enjoying it. Full-time is actually only 3 days per week so you could work part time as well if you need, plus i get a concession at the cinema :D.Don't know about the cost next year (level 3) but do know that it is only 2 days per week, so then i will do the 17th wiring regs at evening classes or day time if it can fit in. Interestingly enough i do not feel like old father time on the course as although the majority are straight out of school there is a complete range of ages and females as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to i'm a wanna be electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock