Discuss I'm trying to replace an old outdoor switch for a pond pump and need some advice please? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
New switch has an earth terminal in the back box and COM, 1 WAY, 2 WAY on the switch. My power in and pond pump have live, neutral and earth wires, what goes where please?

Sounds like you're trying to use a lightswitch whereas an FCU ('fused spur') may be more appropriate.

Hi, the switch description is

BG Electrical IP66 Rated Outdoor 2-Way Weatherproof Switch, 20AX​

A switch designed for outdoor use to withstand all types of weather with an IP66 rating. The 2-way switch from BG Electrical Storm range, has a LED indicator light which depending on the wiring blanking caps, can be wired to illuminate on or off.

Hi, the switch description is

BG Electrical IP66 Rated Outdoor​

2-Way Weatherproof Switch, 20AX​

A switch designed for outdoor use to withstand all types of weather with an IP66 rating. The 2-way switch from BG Electrical Storm range, has a LED indicator light which depending on the wiring blanking caps, can be wired to illuminate on or off.
That's a light switch, you'll want this;

BG Electrical WP53-01 Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Fused Connection Unit, IP66 Rated, 13 Amp https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006GAI2LM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_PJXM0EC8ZRQZHSAMFAG0?psc=1

OK, sorry if I'm being thick here but if I connect the L in to COM and the live out (pump) to 1Way and then connect N to N and E to E using connectors, will that work?
It's not a question of whether it will work, it's a question of tht device being suitable for the task.

The item you have is only designed to switch 1 conductor, by contrast a plug socket or fused connection unit switches multiple conductors.

It's not a question of whether it will work, it's a question of tht device being suitable for the task.

The item you have is only designed to switch 1 conductor, by contrast a plug socket or fused connection unit switches multiple conductors.
I'll buy the one you recommended, many thanks for your advice.

Reply to I'm trying to replace an old outdoor switch for a pond pump and need some advice please? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net