Discuss Imersion timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We have an vented system boiler, the boiler is quite large and struggles to run rate low enough to just heat water.

The tank has an imersion heater fitted, I'd like to switch this with a contractor driven by a singe channel heating programmer. I plan to put a tank stat between the programmer and contactor to provide basic temperature control.

Would you be happy with the above or fit a second stat as a high temperature trip?

Not all immersion heaters have built in stat or safety stat.

You need to be careful to design the control system to be fault tolerant
If you are using a contractor to control the power to the element via a tank stat, I would be putting in a 2nd contactor that is driven from a safety stat that locks the power off if the temperature exceeds the safety temp.
This should require manual reset.

Not all immersion heaters have built in stat or safety stat.

You need to be careful to design the control system to be fault tolerant
If you are using a contractor to control the power to the element via a tank stat, I would be putting in a 2nd contactor that is driven from a safety stat that locks the power off if the temperature exceeds the safety temp.
This should require manual reset.

A control stat and a high high safety stat with two contactors in series was my plan. Hadn't thought of the lock off. Any suggestions of a simple way to do this?

Simple way is to uses a safety stat that is manual reset. I.e. has a little reset button built in

Does the immersion heater have a stat pocket? It would be much simpler to put a standard combined thermostat and overheat stat into it, then all you need is a timeswitch designed for immersion heaters and you have a much simpler system than installing contactors.
Or swap the immersion heater for one that does use a regular thermostat and overheat stat.

Does the immersion heater have a stat pocket? It would be much simpler to put a standard combined thermostat and overheat stat into it, then all you need is a timeswitch designed for immersion heaters and you have a much simpler system than installing contactors.
Or swap the immersion heater for one that does use a regular thermostat and overheat stat.

Plumbers bring plumbers there’s no valves to isolate or drain tank. Tanks also about 30 years old so prob fun getting the immersion out. Agree it would be a simpler solution.

It’s only a frog until I can get the time to fit an invented cylinder and move all the pipework.

Reply to Imersion timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock