Discuss Immersion and garage in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

John

Hi all
First i am not a spark. I do have a question though. Should a garage with internal plugs be on the same line as the immersion heater. Mine is. The garage also has no RCD protection but does have an mcb inside it. Would it be ok to turn this into an rcbo and so meet the requirment for sockets?.

Hi John, Does your consumer unit have any spare MCBs or spaces for extra MCBs? Possible solution would be to get a spark to rewire garage sockets onto a seperate RCBO in the consumer unit. If the wiring is really old it may be that the immersion heater has been tapped off the socket ring circuit :-O. I've seen it done when I've been doing a re-wire.

Thanks for the replies. I think i have got this sorted. The mcb supplied both the immersion and the garage. Im going to put the immersion on the mcb side only and use my rcb with 32a mcb for the garage. I think im going to use an rcbo for the sockets upstairs though so that things like morning alarms are not lost if the main rcb trips out. The more i think about it i really like the idea of rcbo's for everything needing an rcb (yes i know it costs a lot more) but the idea of single failures is more appealing than losing the lot on a trip.

Thanks for the replies. I think i have got this sorted. The mcb supplied both the immersion and the garage. Im going to put the immersion on the mcb side only and use my rcb with 32a mcb for the garage. I think im going to use an rcbo for the sockets upstairs though so that things like morning alarms are not lost if the main rcb trips out. The more i think about it i really like the idea of rcbo's for everything needing an rcb (yes i know it costs a lot more) but the idea of single failures is more appealing than losing the lot on a trip.

and it satisfies the requirements of Reg 314.1

Reply to Immersion and garage in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock