Discuss Immersion element faulty in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Customer complained of hot water running out quickly. Water cylinder has 2 elements in it, tested the top one, between live and neutral on low ohms. Got 19.2 ohms, tested the bottom one and got greater than 999, I’m assuming this is a faulty element

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes. Any heating element should give a reading in the tens of ohms...

+999 is open circuit, so it’s gubbed.

LastManOnline

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer complained of hot water running out quickly. Water cylinder has 2 elements in it, tested the top one, between live and neutral on low ohms. Got 19.2 ohms, tested the bottom one and got greater than 999, I’m assuming this is a faulty element
Yes. You should have gotten a reading if a healthy element. It's also the element that would have heated the whole tank, hence the lack of hot water

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
get a wet-pants to come with you. you disconnect/make safe. he replaces element, you reconnect and test.

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did you check the resistance directly on the terminals of the heating element, or on the supply cable to the heater?

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’m in the club that has cracked a cylinder (years ago). I’d echo suggestion to get a plumber to change it, especially if it’s your first one. You need a selection of the right tools. Even now I rarely change them myself.
(if you get one with the thermostat broken that is an easy job)

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Replace the element but check for limescale buildup in the cylinder when you remove the old element. Depends how hard the water is in that particular area but sometimes the scale can cover the bottom element causing it to overheat and blow open circuit.

7029 dave

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Replace the element but check for limescale buildup in the cylinder when you remove the old element. Depends how hard the water is in that particular area but sometimes the scale can cover the bottom element causing it to overheat and blow open circuit.
Yes I used to have a big spoon/ladle to scoop the limescale out on the bottom entries.

Reply to Immersion element faulty in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net