Discuss Immersion Element Test Results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

EMSpark

An elderly couple have asked me to look into why their immersion heater isn't heating the water.

I have disconnected the element and, using an ohmeter, am getting the following readings:

Anywhere from 700 ohms to 60K ohms L-N
70 ohms N-E
500 ohms and climbing L-E

I suspect the element is knackered and needs replacing, but before I get Mr Plumber involved I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

An elderly couple have asked me to look into why their immersion heater isn't heating the water.

I have disconnected the element and, using an ohmeter, am getting the following readings:

Anywhere from 700 ohms to 60K ohms L-N
70 ohms N-E
500 ohms and climbing L-E

I suspect the element is knackered and needs replacing, but before I get Mr Plumber involved I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

Around the element you should roughly be getting around 19.2 Ohms if its 3 KW. 240x240/3000=19.2 Ohms

IMO a good element should read around 16/17 ohms , have you IR the element between LN LE.? I take it you are an Electrician.?

Thanks Dave.

No - I haven't IR tested... Having already measured the resistance, would an additional IR test been beneficial?

Yes, I'm an electrician. Possibly the greatest - that's what my mum says.

Hi dude,just out of interest,did you disconnect all the other conductors,at the immersion plate,when you obtained those readings?

Nice one...in which case,all you have to do,is remove the old one,and replace....it should be finger tight,and if you reverse the bathroom fan,the pressure will hold the water back :bow:

NB: Please don't rely on the above...

Nice one...in which case,all you have to do,is remove the old one,and replace....it should be finger tight,and if you reverse the bathroom fan,the pressure will hold the water back :bow:

NB: Please don't rely on the above...

Ha ha!

In my experience,they vary from:
pretty tight but come out with a hammer clout on the big spanner, to
cut the gasket away with a hacksaw blade or multitool (don't damage the sealing face of the boss), then it comes out, to
chain drill across the diameter and break it out in pieces (on a boss plug that had been in for a while).

Ha ha!

In my experience,they vary from:
pretty tight but come out with a hammer clout on the big spanner, to
cut the gasket away with a hacksaw blade or multitool (don't damage the sealing face of the boss), then it comes out, to
chain drill across the diameter and break it out in pieces (on a boss plug that had been in for a while).

I find it best to use a box spanner than the normal immersion spanner so you can apply pressure both sides and less risk of buckling the pocket/cylinder. Some times I find trying to tighten it a little first before i loosen it breaks to seal so to speak and easier to loosen.

box spanner 1.jpg

Last edited:
i always use a flat spanner and a club hammer. not a daft whack, but a rapid series of light taps. never broke a tank in 40 years.

Reply to Immersion Element Test Results in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net