Discuss immersion heater and a shower pump in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

An immersion heater on a plug top - not allowed as should be on a switched connection unit to BS 1363-4. What code would you give it ? and out of interest what is the thinking in not allowing it as a plug and socket would give double pole isolation?

Also would a shower pump be allowed on a plug top? Plus it is on the same circuit as the immersion. My initial thought was that the pump could be on a plug and socket but should not be on the same circuit as the immersion :confused:

cheers.

The immersion heater is usually 3kW, greater than 13A load, so BS1363 accessories are inadequately rated, must be on a 20A BS EN 60996-1 double pole control switch,to provide isolation for maintenance. The immersion heated must be on a separate dedicated supply if the immersion tank is over 15 litres. The shower pump should not be connected by plug and socket, I would suggest ideally this needs a dedicated supply, as some shower pumps have high in-rush currents on start-up and may require a type C MCB. Depending on the rating of the pump a BS 1363-4 switch fused spur outlet or BS EN 60996-1 double pole control switch for isolation. Remember the nearest socket should be at least 3.6m away from the shower tray or 4.2m from a fixed head shower in a wet room.

The immersion heater is usually 3kW, greater than 13A load, so BS1363 accessories are inadequately rated, must be on a 20A BS EN 60996-1 double pole control switch,to provide isolation for maintenance. The immersion heated must be on a separate dedicated supply if the immersion tank is over 15 litres. The shower pump should not be connected by plug and socket, I would suggest ideally this needs a dedicated supply, as some shower pumps have high in-rush currents on start-up and may require a type C MCB. Depending on the rating of the pump a BS 1363-4 switch fused spur outlet or BS EN 60996-1 double pole control switch for isolation. Remember the nearest socket should be at least 3.6m away from the shower tray or 4.2m from a fixed head shower in a wet room.

Thanks for the reply. GN1 specifically says immersions should be connected via switched units to bs1363-4 ie 13A FCU. (don't think if it is a typo, think it is 554.3.3, but not got brb with me to check).

3kW is 13.04A so effectively 13A.

This immersion has a resistance of 19 ohms so is drawing 12A. Still unsure as to the thinking as to why an FCU is allowed and yet a plug top that would provide perfect double pole isolation is not.:confused:

Don't know the size of the motor, suspect it is pretty small, or even what fuse is in the plug, but do know that it has been working fine for 10 years on its plug top; an fcu is, again, only 13 A though.

Code 4 for the immersion being on a plug top?

Quite a few Grundfos pumps now come with a 13amp plug top fitted, I know this as I fitted a Salamander pump in November in my daughters house. The only thing it recommended was the usual 3mm gap on the terminals which MK sockets have.

As for a type C breaker again I'm not sure I have ever seen a domestic installation or piece of equipment ask for a type C breaker. Maybe if you had welding equipment in the garage but that is all I can think of. A small shower pump will not have any more inrush than a refrigerator compressor really, as most domestic shower pumps are under 700watt.

Not sure I would code it anything really, espicially if there were no signs of burning or damage to either the socket or plug.

Quite a few Grundfos pumps now come with a 13amp plug top fitted, I know this as I fitted a Salamander pump in November in my daughters house. The only thing it recommended was the usual 3mm gap on the terminals which MK sockets have.

As for a type C breaker again I'm not sure I have ever seen a domestic installation or piece of equipment ask for a type C breaker. Maybe if you had welding equipment in the garage but that is all I can think of. A small shower pump will not have any more inrush than a refrigerator compressor really, as most domestic shower pumps are under 700watt.

Not sure I would code it anything really, espicially if there were no signs of burning or damage to either the socket or plug.

Cheers Malcolm,
Yeah this motor was only on a 5A fuse so probs in the region of 700W.

Still intrigued as to why BS7671 says you can have a 13A fcu for the immersion but not a plug top. I had wondered if it was to do with it being fixed equipment, but a grundfos (central heating?) pump would surely be considered fixed equipment. Anyway suppose there are more important things to think about :D

hi all,i'm new to this and don't know if this is the best place to ask my question?i have an immersion heater,the whole house is electric.i have storage heating on e7 tariff,and want to know if i can have a timer fitted to my immersion heater to make the most of this.it is currently wired directly into the wall,no plug socket,and simply says on or off.is this an electrician or plumber job?and can it be done?also the immersion heater is not huge,and has one jacket to insulate.if i heated my water in the morning,it'd be lukewarm by the time i need to wash up and bath my kids in the evening,as this has happened before.but if i heat it an hour before i need it,its hot (although even if i use the whole tank of hot water just to myself for a hot bath it still doesnt have enough to fill up or top it up)is insulation the problem?and the fact the tank isnt huge?i take it i cant boost as i only have one pre programmed thermostat.i dont want to have to keep heating at peak tariff to get nice hot water :-( its a rented house,so cannot change this setup.please help,thanks in advance.

hi all,i'm new to this and don't know if this is the best place to ask my question?i have an immersion heater,the whole house is electric.i have storage heating on e7 tariff,and want to know if i can have a timer fitted to my immersion heater to make the most of this.it is currently wired directly into the wall,no plug socket,and simply says on or off.is this an electrician or plumber job?and can it be done?also the immersion heater is not huge,and has one jacket to insulate.if i heated my water in the morning,it'd be lukewarm by the time i need to wash up and bath my kids in the evening,as this has happened before.but if i heat it an hour before i need it,its hot (although even if i use the whole tank of hot water just to myself for a hot bath it still doesnt have enough to fill up or top it up)is insulation the problem?and the fact the tank isnt huge?i take it i cant boost as i only have one pre programmed thermostat.i dont want to have to keep heating at peak tariff to get nice hot water :-( its a rented house,so cannot change this setup.please help,thanks in advance.
electrician's jnob to fit timer to immersion. rough guess if no snags would be around £60-£80

as regards pump being on same circuit as immersion. regs. say no, but nothing in the regs says you can't have a 3kw electric fire and another load on a 16A radial.

as regards pump being on same circuit as immersion. regs. say no, but nothing in the regs says you can't have a 3kw electric fire and another load on a 16A radial.

Yep, that is what i thought - not exactly an example of joined up thinking :D

Regs say immersion can be on double pole FCU with a 13A fuse, but not on a plug top with a 13A fuse. Take the plug out and you have DP isolation :confused:.

Be nice if they gave the occasional reason why.

electrician's jnob to fit timer to immersion. rough guess if no snags would be around £60-£80
thanks telectrix for your fast help.any ideas to keep the water hot?or is this just the way things are for this smallish sized heater?would putting extra insulation really make alot of difference?thanks

Yep, that is what i thought - not exactly an example of joined up thinking :D

Regs say immersion can be on double pole FCU with a 13A fuse, but not on a plug top with a 13A fuse. Take the plug out and you have DP isolation :confused:.

Be nice if they gave the occasional reason why.

Probably because the plug can be inserted or withdrawn from an unswitched socked thereby causing arcing!

thanks telectrix for your fast help.any ideas to keep the water hot?or is this just the way things are for this smallish sized heater?would putting extra insulation really make alot of difference?thanks

Putting extra insulation on a hot water tank will help keep the water warmer for longer but not indefinitely as heat will always escape through the various copper pipes. In my own house the hot water tank is in the cupboard with the towels so i don't mind some heat escaping as it warms them. It is very hard to keep the water vastly hotter than its surroundings. Only you can really decide if it is worth spending money to keep the water warmer for an extra hour or two.

Probably because the plug can be inserted or withdrawn from an unswitched socked thereby causing arcing!

But you can switch the socket off before the plug is withdrawn and it is very unlikely that it is going to be regularly removed anyway. Household appliances used on unswitched sockets are going to be much more of a problem in this regard.

But you can switch the socket off before the plug is withdrawn and it is very unlikely that it is going to be regularly removed anyway. Household appliances used on unswitched sockets are going to be much more of a problem in this regard.

Yeah I agree Pushrod, but I was just trying to think of their reasoning behind the ambigous regs. How many householders bother to switch off before removing plug and it's a fairly heavy load. It wouldn't take too long to burn the socket/plug if it was done regularly. I know you say that's unlikely, but expect the unexpected with the uninitiated. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I agree Pushrod, but I was just trying to think of their reasoning behind the ambigous regs. How many householders bother to switch off before removing plug and it's a fairly heavy load. It wouldn't take too long to burn the socket/plug if it was done regularly. I know you say that's unlikely, but expect the unexpected with the uninitiated. :)

Maybe that is a friday afternoon reg, after they had all been to the pub ;)

Can't see how a timer is going to help you really. Even if you fit it and it comes on in line with your storage heaters, the circuit to the immersion heater is still going to be on connected to your normal tariff.

If you have an older E7 system it will have 2 meters and 2 fuse boards. I meter and board for your normal electrics say which the immersion is on, and another meter and board for your heaters.

If it's a modern system then it will most likley have a single meter but with 4 large cables coming out of it to either again 2 fuse boards, or a single fuse board split in normal and E7 system.

If you do decide to fit the immersion into the E7 system you have to remember that by the time you get home in the evening there will be very little hot water as it's charges up all night and remained hot during the day, slowly cooling down.

It may pay you to look at either setting up the existing system on a timer which is better for you, say coming on at 5am going off at 8am, then coming on again at 4pm and going off at 7pm

Or you can get a tank installed that as 2 elements which would utilised the E7 on one element and the other element the normal electricity.

Whatever you decide it will pay you to get an electrician in to see what is the best path for you.

An immersion heater on a plug top - not allowed as should be on a switched connection unit to BS 1363-4. What code would you give it ? and out of interest what is the thinking in not allowing it as a plug and socket would give double pole isolation?
cheers.

Where exactly does this information come from ?

The only reasoning I can think is with a plug and socket the householder than has the chance to put one of those double plug top and have both the immersion heater and some other big appliance on the same circuit. Possible overload.

But the reasoning goes out of the window because immersion spurs are usually located in an airing cupboard so what else you would fit in an airing cupboard I don't know.

I suspect the reason is that most 13a plugs and sockets dont handle prolonged periods at maximum load very well. I've seen plenty of burnt out 13a sockets in airing cupboards....often with piles of clothes stacked round them.

Problem with putting a 3kw load onto a BS 1363 Socket is the load on the socket outlet not the circuit. Very few sockets today are designed to take a 3kw load on the socket and plug top, MK and Crabtree still might, but the majiority of them are rated at about 8-10amps,

A lot of people get the not allowed bit from appendix 15 where they mistake not supplying from the ring final circuit to mean a BS 1363 Socket. Because it is a large load if it was connected to a ring it might deem to unbalance it.

Though a BS 1363 socket outlet affords you on load isolation and functional switching the same as a BS 1363-4 FCU very few sockets are double pole as the FCU normally is, and you have the loading situation as I stated above.

IMO I would not connected a 3kw load with a plug and socket.

Reply to immersion heater and a shower pump in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock