Discuss Immersion heater controller in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, and I hope you are keeping well?
A simple question really. I have to replace the timer for my immersion heater.
There's not as much choice out there as I expected, but i am tempted to get one of these:

I really just need simple on/off switching.

Just wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about this particular model.

Thanks!

Good afternoon everyone, and I hope you are keeping well?
A simple question really. I have to replace the timer for my immersion heater.
There's not as much choice out there as I expected, but i am tempted to get one of these:

I really just need simple on/off switching.

Just wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about this particular model.

Thanks!
You might be as well to ask this same question on Plumbers' Forum too.

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
It is a mechanical timer that's installed at the moment, with the pins around the perimeter, but the switch doesn't switch when it should, so i suspect mechanical failure.
Anyway, I chose the Sangamo one for a couple of reasons, and really just wondered if anyone had any experience of them.
I will get one, fit it, and let you know...
the existing one was fitted by a kev...I suspect it wasn't new...
For years I have suffered from CH controllers fitted under the wall units in corners where my myopia makes programming difficult. Ideally, i would like any controller to be at eye-level in a well lit place, but sadly that hasn't been the case. When I was a much younger man, many years ago, I bought a timeclock with lovely red rubbery push buttons, infinitely variable, all sorts of options, and you could unplug it and take it to your armchair and programme it in comfort and good light, as it had a battery inside for backup. I recall it was very expensive. I read the instructions very carefully...except the bit about not plugging it back in to a live backplate...as I said, very expensive...

Anyway, I chose the Sangamo one for a couple of reasons, and really just wondered if anyone had any experience of them.

I have no experience of that particular timeswitch, but sangamo have a very good reputation and are famous for their incredibly reliable round pattern time switches.

you can't go wrong with Sangamo. they are the Toyota of time clocks.

There are some good options on the market now for smart heating controls that can be controlled from your phone.

Much easier than faffing about with a controller under a cabinet.

Ferg, I think you got that right! My problem is I don't like to have anything controlled by my phone...so old-fashioned, I know, but it just doesn't feel right switching on CH etc from miles away.
However, I control my TV by phone or PC from Spain (streaming my home content free of charge) and my CCTV is similarly on an app...but i was "forced" into that for both of those because there is no other option since I had to let the maid go due to financial circumstances...
Anyway, I fitted the Sangamo unit with ease, but yes, programming it is causing me some problems simply due to the access. I will overcome this!
using manual override on the old timer I learned that all i need is about an hour of power in the early morning to provide enough hot water for my morning shower and some dishwashing during the day. The Sangamo has a half/one/two hour boost function so everything else is catered for, should I have guests, for example. I feel this will be more economical than having it running 24/7 and just "held" by the stat. I have turned the stat down from 60° to 50°, but it still is 60° at the taps. I should have addressed this ages ago, but being away for about 5 months of the year, i just didn't bother...it's only lockdown that caused me to investigate.
Just to summarise, the Sangamo unit is extremely neat, fits into a standard single back box, and also comes with a surface mount box if you need to use that method. It's very slim when fitted to a recessed box, and the only tiny modification I had to make was to flatten the top and bottom lugs on the back box to allow it to sit in properly. It has an earth terminal, albeit the whole back is plastic, and the terminals seem well made, indeed the whole unit is pretty well constructed with an extra layer of insulation between the gubbins and the outer case.
In my view, it is ideal for my purpose, it's just the programming that gets me, and I have always had a problem with menu-driven stuff...an age thing, i guess.
it's rated at 16A, rather than the 13A of many of the cheaper mechanical timers, but those are so much easier to programme if you just want the same on/off times every day. I don't need 5 on/off times per day, different times for each day, and a change at weekends. My neighbour's 12 year old nephew is coming round tomorrow, so I'll get him to sort the timings!
Next time, I'll go for one I can programme from my armchair...
Good shout, Ferg!

Reply to Immersion heater controller in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock