Discuss Immersion heater element in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, not really come across too many immersion heaters on my travels. Looking for a bit advice with this one 3EACFF7D-162A-4D59-85F4-C8104092B903.jpeg0FD7404A-AA3C-4032-813D-3B925C7E1FEB.jpeg I take it this has no thermal cut out and so should be coded as a C2? Many thanks in advance chaps.

deffo a C2.
[automerge]1595322916[/automerge]
This is turning into one of those where you wish you hadn’t bothered......
advise customer to get a wet-pants to fit a new one. charge call-out fee, return after and fit new flex.

It's only a C2 if the Water storage tank is Plastic and looking at the age of that immersion heater there's a pretty good chance the tank is galvanised steel.

Can I just add if they have a solid fuel boiler or fire heating the cylinder, the tanks in the roof are the right spec and not plastic pipe it should not be coded
[automerge]1595325100[/automerge]
Beat me to it snowhead

what if overheat caused the hot water tank to rupture? it's probably on it's way out anyway due to age.

what if overheat caused the hot water tank to rupture? it's probably on it's way out anyway due to age.

It'll probably outlast a new cylinder, but the likelyhood of the hot water cylinder failing is not a given reason for C2.

The issue is if there is a Plastic storage tank in the loft /attic above bedrooms and the cylinder overheats allowing the hot water to circulate up to the plastic tank, the tank may rupture pouring hot water onto someone who is sleeping.
This has happened a few times and usually results in death.

If the plastic storage tank is adequately supported, it shouldn't happen, but too avoid having to decide that, the classification just identifies no overheat and plastic storage tank.

Solid fuel systems have to have a metallic tank as the heat source is not fully controlable and the storage tank can heat up.

The reason for caution in the coding is the cost consequences can be high.
It will most likely result in a new immersion heater, new hot water cylinder and pipework and new cold water storage tank.

It'll probably outlast a new cylinder, but the likelyhood of the hot water cylinder failing is not a given reason for C2.

The issue is if there is a Plastic storage tank in the loft /attic above bedrooms and the cylinder overheats allowing the hot water to circulate up to the plastic tank, the tank may rupture pouring hot water onto someone who is sleeping.
This has happened a few times and usually results in death.

If the plastic storage tank is adequately supported, it shouldn't happen, but too avoid having to decide that, the classification just identifies no overheat and plastic storage tank.

Solid fuel systems have to have a metallic tank as the heat source is not fully controlable and the storage tank can heat up.

The reason for caution in the coding is the cost consequences can be high.
It will most likely result in a new immersion heater, new hot water cylinder and pipework and new cold water storage tank.
thanks for the clarification. I,m 73 years old and still learning. :):):)

Which part of BS7671 are people referring to when they code the lack of a thermal cutout on an EICR?

Do you also inspect the temperature and pressure relief valves on unvented cylinders and sealed central heating systems as part of your EICRs?

Which part of BS7671 are people referring to when they code the lack of a thermal cutout on an EICR?

Do you also inspect the temperature and pressure relief valves on unvented cylinders and sealed central heating systems as part of your EICRs?

That is a fantastic point to raise, cant think of anywhere in the regs that this is mentioned.
relief valves and over temperature devices are important but should surely be tested as part of the routine maintenance schedule?

edit, I will happily wire up a compressor in a factory without inspecting the tanks and pipework for suitability of the compressors maximum output. am I wrong? i don't think so but am ready to be challenged on that point.

Last edited:
The tank looks like its galv. Its encased in a type of fibreboard, which I'm certainly not touching!! Its in a cupboard. The property is 2 bed apartment in an apartment block, on the top floor. I would imagine its concrete floors. I'll be honest i jumped on C2 because ive seen it coded that way before, and even seen people on forums discussing it and coding C2. If i ring Napit i would imagine I'll get told to code. Ill double check with them tomorrow, see what they say.

That is a fantastic point to raise, cant think of anywhere in the regs that this is mentioned.

thanks for clearing that up "cupcake" Julie,
you don't post that often but when you do, it is always right.
hat off to you.

edit,
I am so pleased I got a like, thought that was running a little close to edge on acceptable.

Reply to Immersion heater element in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net