Discuss immersion heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello all!

really confused here.

I have an immersion heater top element gravity feed. The fuse box continued tripping after changing. the spur 1 of 2 is feed by a 3amp fuse dedicated to the boiler.

the second spur around 9 inches away was also feed by a 3amp fuse which continued to blow.

I replaced the immersion heater spur with a 13amp fuse from a 3amp the power going to the immersion was not sufficiant.

the question is

is it safe to leave the boiler spur which is 3amp feeding the immersion heater isolater which is now 13amp. the cabling is fine and suitable for 13amp usage 16mm thick
after fitting I checked 24hrs later the 13amp spur is warm but not hot and the water is now working fine.

just concerned the low 3amp feeding the 13amp spur

hello all!

really confused here.

I have an immersion heater top element gravity feed. The fuse box continued tripping after changing. the spur 1 of 2 is feed by a 3amp fuse dedicated to the boiler.

the second spur around 9 inches away was also feed by a 3amp fuse which continued to blow.

I replaced the immersion heater spur with a 13amp fuse from a 3amp the power going to the immersion was not sufficiant.

the question is

is it safe to leave the boiler spur which is 3amp feeding the immersion heater isolater which is now 13amp. the cabling is fine and suitable for 13amp usage 16mm thick
after fitting I checked 24hrs later the 13amp spur is warm but not hot and the water is now working fine.

just concerned the low 3amp feeding the 13amp spur
Best call a competent Electrician Bigshock, diagnosing problems like this, remotely, could become dangerous.

Best call a competent Electrician Bigshock, diagnosing problems like this, remotely, could become dangerous.

I did ask the advice of a friend by showing the pictures of the switched fuse spur. been told the immersion should bot be running anything less than 13amp.

only concern was it comes of another switched spur with controls the central heating

I suspect it is connected from the live side of the heating spur so the 3A fuse is not relevant to the immersion. What size mcb is it at the consumer unit.

the switched spur is in the live side. I swapped the 3amp for a 13amp as it tripped it. on manufactured advise it states 13amp

an immersion heater could never run on a 3A fuse. instant blow.

that's the thought process I'm suprised it managed before it initially blew. I took the advise of a plumbing and heating engineer to up the one fuse. it has worked just three me it goes from a 3amp

chines copy 3A fusemight do 3kW for a while before the holder melted.

it was a full 37inch element with an 18inch thermostat
It was never working on a 3A fuse. I suspect what has happened is someone has changed the fuse in an attempt to make it functional and if the element was good it would have blown almost immediately.

that's what I thought. the fuse was in ok condition tbh but looked clean. just annoying it feeds from the central heating switch spur at 3amp rather than it's own circuit

Reply to immersion heater in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock