Discuss Immersion Tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

momac1985

Hey folks just looking for some info here..
Im after changing my element for my immersion as it kept triping the RCD..
I installed a backer bt7 7" Rod, I wired it the following,
(1)Live to The Element
(2)from the other side if the element I connected it to the L on the immersion
(3)Neutral to the N on the immersion
(4)Earth to earthing point

The problem is it keeps tripping the RCD..I disconnected all cables from the element and I got 240 across L-N & L-E

Its at number 2 above is where my problem is, when I connect from one side of the element to the L on the immersion it trips..if I wired everything else bar connecting that cable it wouldn't trip the RCD..

Any ideas??????

Did the immersion heater used to work okay then just started tripping the rcd? How long does the rcd take to trip? Do you have an insulation tester (mega tester)? Can you post a photo of the connections you've made?

No don't have a megger! What would that verify?
The RCD trips instantly once you turn on power to the immersion. I changed it about two years ago and its been working fine until last week where it just went again. I changed the Element twice thinking it might have been a faulty element but obviously not!

This doesn't make much sense, from your description you say you have replaced the element but still it trips. So either the supply circuit is faulty, or you are confusing the element with the thermostat.

The thermostat is the short rod which slots in to the stat pocket of the immersion heater. The element is the part permanently fixed to the brass boss.

Depending on what type of element it is then two years is about right. A copper element can give way after a couple of months if the water conditions aren't right.

looks like you have changed the stat. when it's the element that's faulty. the element is the whole caboodle with that huge hexagonal thingy.

Immersion Tripping RCD download - EletriciansForums.net

no fault in connections at switch! I've opened it up and checked everything is 100%. I've disconnected the cables from the thermostat and put them in connector blocks and everthing is ok as far as that. As i said previously, I connected,
Live - Thermostat
From the other end of the thermostat to L on the Immersion
Neutral - to N on the Immersion
And Earth to earth

Also made sure that all connections were tight so I wouldnt say its poor connections!

Seems you need to call an electrician, he will (using appropriate test equipment) test the immersion/circuitry and replace/repair as necessary - you're just running round in circles wasting your time.

No don't have a megger! What would that verify?
It would be the right tester to localise the fault. The other option is you just keep replacing parts blindly until you accidentally find the fault but it can get expensive and unnecessarily long winded doing it that way and bear in mind there could be multiple small leakage faults amounting to a total that's over the 30mA RCD tripping threshold.

You're a braver man than me if you've changed one of those immersions! That's asking for the copper sleeve it sits in to buckle.

If it trips with the immersion connected and doesn't with it disconnected then I'd say its a fairly safe bet the immersion is kathucked.
Plus 2 years is a reasonable time for it to last if it's a cheap copper one, I've had to change them less than 3 months after some fool has fitted one around here due to the hard water.

As much as I hate to say this but I think just this once I'll say I don't think a visit from an electrician will achieve much more than re-confirming what you already know.

As above sounds like your element is Knacked i would get someone in to do the job if you don't feel your up for the challenge.
One of the problem's with element replacement is if you are not careful you can end up cracking the tank when you try to undo the Boss, i have seen this happen many times, then you end up replaceing the entire immersion tank, and as Telectrix said you get very wet.

Look at the pics, it's not in a normal cylinder, it's in one of those copper sleeve/pocket type arrangements.

I'd be even less inclined to do the swap in one of them.

bloody 'ell, didn't see that. i'd be down the pub having left my friendly wet pants mate's card with him.

Element shorted to Earth sure as eggs is eggs

Reply to Immersion Tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock