Discuss Impact Driver or Combi Drill? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this has been discussed many times on here, but am about to buy one and don't really know which to be honest.

At present I have a Makita combi which is ok, but I wanted something that was a little more meaty and had more go. Then I read on here that people say get a impact driver as you don't know what you are missing.

I guess the problem is I don't know what I want.

I cant put a drill in an impact driver so its no good for that, its only good for screwing and putting a socket on.

Have a look at the links below, its going to be one or the other but just cannot decide, do I get a new drill? Or do i get the impact wrench.

At present I have no need for the socket element of the impact driver and feel I don't need one to just do screws up, but people seem to suggest they are the best thing since sliced bread.

This is the combi drill:
3165140760959 bosch 06019d9370 18v new robust combi drill with auto cut out 2 x 4ah batt

This is impact driver:
3165140725927 bosch gdx18vlixl 18v cordless impact wrench driver 2 x 4.0ah batteries

So, what's it to be, someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Personally I think impact drivers are most useful for chippies and the like rather than sparks, they are good if you have a load of 100mm screws to fire in, otherwise IMHO, they aren't worth spending that kind off money on.

both will come handy, get one with 2 batteries and other one bare unit.
bit expensive in the links you sent, waiting for some promotion in the shops may help.

Get them from America shipped in youl get a 6pc kit for the price of 3 in this country . And you'l have a 110v charger handy . Go for any of the top brands , I have hitachi and in very pleased . yes impact driver very handy drilling holes in joist , screwing great 1st fix tool , they'll wack boxes on to wall all day . Whilst you have your combi set up for well anything 20mm hole cutter or for torque application whatever .

The more toys the better !

Do you do a lot of house bashing? If so, when you've a million floor boards to screw back down you'll be thanking the lord for buying an impact driver! Do you do a lot of steel work? If so, when you've a million ceiling brackets to screw up you'll be thanking the lord for buying an impact driver! Do you do a lot of screwing in general (pardon the pun :D)? Patresses, back boxes, conduit, tray, p clips, cleats etc... If so, you'll be thanking the lord for buying an impact driver!

I use mine for everything you can think of and I couldn't live without it. I suffer with mild arthritis in my thumbs so it is invaluable to me! Even so, if my thumbs were perfectly healthy I'd still own one!

Mr Skelton, you make a good point.

I do 2 rewires a day, lol, no not really, not often, steel work hardly ever etc..

I like the idea of it but not sure if I need one, I'll sleep on it and see where it it takes me. I suspect a quality combi would be more beneficial to me at the moment.

It shouldn't be a question of one or the other, rather one and the other. My combi is a Makita BHP451, the most powerful 18V combi on the market, I also use an 18V Makita impact driver. They are completely different tools so cannot be compared.

This is the kit I currently use:

Makita LXT202 18V 3Ah Li-Ion Twin Pack Combi Drill & Impact Driver LXT | screwflix..com

It was closer to £600 when I bought it about three years ago and it's still going strong. Since then I've bought two more sets for the lads :)

I couldn't recommend it highly enough and you can get it extra cheap now as there are newer versions of both tools on the market (the current replacement for the three speed combi is not as good though).

I just fancied one with more bite to it, I find my one, although it works, I find I hve to get the SDS out at times when up a ladder when a combi old be easier to use in that situation.

I know a good shop in jersey that stocks them all, called UK Tool Centre, they are fantastic prices on mail order, when I go next I might have a go with a few.

From experience an impact driver is one of those pieces of kit that you will wonder why you struggled for years without one once you have used one. Since I got an impact driver about a year ago I wouldn't be without one now and it also stops me blowing up the variable speed trigger on my combi drill

Anglia tool centre have some cracking deals at the moment,12v milwaukee impact with 2 batteries lithium ion,£119,12v isds £99 bare unit,12v combi hammer,bare unit £80,all listed in the special offers section.I've got the sds and it's got a decent punch for a 12v unit,also got an impact and that's good too.
Power Tool Deals, Milwaukee Deals (page 2)

As others have said, GET an impact driver. You will wonder how you managed before without one.
I have the Makita 451 kit that Skelton has mentioned and i cant fault it after 4 years of abuse.

Ah, you need a cordless SDS for masonry/concrete!

36V Bosch one is great!

I have the Bosch 36v VF-LI drill, it's very good, every time I use it I'm amazed. It gets a lot of abuse too. Sometimes though it's a bit weighty when stretching off the top of a ladder trying to drill a hole at near arms length.

It shouldn't be a question of one or the other, rather one and the other. My combi is a Makita BHP451, the most powerful 18V combi on the market, I also use an 18V Makita impact driver. They are completely different tools so cannot be compared.

Not anymore I got same drill its been replaced by the 458

Its on offer on amazon for £170 atm

Drills slip when using them for screwing which impact drivers dont normally.

Reply to Impact Driver or Combi Drill? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock