Discuss Impedance, Reactance, Resistance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

m4tty

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone out there could explain how to calculate the impedance of a circuit containing combinations of the above. For example

Series Circuit containing 6 Ohms resistance and 8 Ohms Capacitive Reactance. Calculate impedence??

Thanks in advance.

Matt

er cant draw out the formula but will try

Z (total im) = root squared of Rsquared + Xc squared

if inuctance was in circuit it would be deducted from Xc or vice versa

Treat it as a right angled triangle (Pythagoras)
Impedance (Z) is the hypotenuse.
Resistance is the adjacent.
Reactance is the opposite.......where you have Xc and XL one leads and the other one lags so the resultant (one take away the other) is the value you use as per Mr Pythagoras' theorem.

You can then find youe Power Factor with cos, ADJ/HYP

you will find in most of these questions involving pythagoras that they give you it will be a 3,4, 5 triangle (or multiple of eg 6,8,10 or 30 40 50 etc etc) the hypotenuse being the impedance. If you remember that it will help you to quickly check answers

So in your example above 2 of the sides are 6 and 8 so the hypotenuse/impedance is 10 ohms.

[or the square root 6^2 + 8^2 = 10]

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Impedance, Reactance, Resistance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

A coil is connected to a 100v a.c with 20ms, and supply current taken by the coil is 6a calculate the frequency (50Hz) the overall impedence (16.6...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm new to Amtech/Trimble and I've been asked to review a model. I'm looking at circuits that are SWA cables using the armour and an...
Replies
Views
Hi all , The measured value of loop impedance for a circuit is 2.4Ω. If the temperature at the time of the test was 20°C and the cable is 70°C...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am currently learning about AC and DC supplied coil and have been given the scenario below. I understand the first few steps but then...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the WT Henley Series 8 house service cutout. I have one of these installed at my house and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock