Discuss Impressed with British Gas for FiT application in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GaryM

I called British Gas earlier to see if they offered a check upon drop off of FiT application service. They did so I nipped into Manchester with it.
Within 10 mins I was on my way out after having the application form checked. 30 minutes later I arrived home to an email from British Gas with their terms and conditions to sign and post back off along with a document detailing my FiT eligibility date of today.
That'll go later today.

After hearing of people waiting months I feared making a mistake. Glad I went with British Gas!

Dear Gary,
I am interested in doing the same.
What British Gas website did you print your FIT application from?
Which British Gas telephone number did you call?
What address are the FITS Department of BG located at in the North West?
Did you print off the BG Fit application, fill it in and then deliver it to this address in Manchester and that was it?
Any help greatfully received.

Application form from here: Feed-in Tariff from British Gas

Telephone number: 0800 107 0187 (option 2)

Address: 97 Talbot Road, Manchester, M16 0TW

Yes, I printed out the form and called the FiT team on the above number who told me to just nip up and drop the form off to be checked. The guy I spoke to told me it was fine and I would receive an email with T&C's before I got home. He was true to his word!

Is it ok to go with British Gas if they dont supply your electricity and gas? i.e EDF
Have any other FIT operators offered greater than 3p on the export tarif yet?
Thank you for your quick response Gary :)

I would recommend Good Energy for FiTs. They have been excellent to deal with for us. They are a British company (unlike several of the others) and actively promote green energy and renewables. You don't have to switch to them as your supplier if you don't want. You can email your application form over to them and they are polite and professional on the phone.

According to Wikipedia:

"A recent Guardian article echoed the NCC's belief that Good Energy's was the best green tariff [SUP][/SUP]and Good Energy has also been named Best Buy for green electricity by Ethical Consumer magazine.[SUP][/SUP] Which? Magazine named Good Energy best utility company for customer service in April 2010."

http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/feedintariff

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Good Energy. Ecotricity (the other green supplier) were excellent with my FITs; posted my application and had a letter back two days later.

The thing with both Good Energy and Ecotricity is that they did not have to offer FITs support; they chose to. As such it's something they want to promote so give great customer service.

The thing with both Good Energy and Ecotricity is that they did not have to offer FITs support; they chose to. As such it's something they want to promote so give great customer service.

I would just like to agree with the above, having taken FIT forms to Good Energy on behalf of my customers, I could not fault their service, even in the mad rush up to the 12th Dec.

Did they process there and then and email the T&C's over in less than one hour? I appreciate this service may not always be available with BG and it comes down to who's free at the time to do it.

They checked through the forms to see that they were all correct, while I was drinking a cup of their coffee (did BG offer you one?), then hand wrote receipts for the customers.
If you want to delivery by hand, to make sure the FIT provider is in receipt of your forms, up North (Manchester) Brith Gas, in South Good Energy (Chippenham)
I am sure there are other obliging FIT providers, however some do appear to have their failings.

good energy.jpgI even have the photograph to prove it....

Probably boiled the water in a low powered kettle using energy from solar panels on their rooftop. Good Energy, Green Energy UK and Ecotricity (along with a couple of other minnows) should be supported imo as they are in it for sound ethical reasons and their profits actually stay in this country as opposed to foreign shareholders.

Received final confirmation of FiT registration via email yesterday from British Gas that they've received the T&C's that I sent back.
So from dropping off the application form in person to receiving final confirmation has taken 3 days, one of which was a Sunday!

They're requesting a meter reading in 3 months time (11th May) then payment will arrive in the form of a cheque.

Reply to Impressed with British Gas for FiT application in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net