Discuss in a Perfect World .... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SRE

what would you look for in an IT system to make life easier and has anyone found it?

I'd like to see:

Remote access and backup, so if I'm out at a customer's and another wants some info I can access it wherever I am.

Regular, reliable updated info for the MCS manuals, I don't want to have to think about updating and recording different versions.

Sensible options for pricing jobs that takes into account the fact that all jobs are priced separately rather than on a bog standard swings & roundabouts method

Jobsheets created easily, matched with purchase orders and filed in the customer file.

Easy methods of recording conversations you've had with your customers so that when the jobsheet is produced the installer is going to the job understanding what has been discussed before.

Tick boxes on the purchase order that can be used to confirm that delivery has been received and another column to confirm the invoice is correct and has been passed for payment.

A way of importing photographs onto a survey sheet once the survey has been completed.

Sensible agreements and excellent support for a reasonable cost.

Ability to access my data at any time and back it up onto my own system for added security.

A really easy way of assessing my margins and profitability at a glance, as well as calculating conversion rates etc.

What else would you look for ?????

Hallelujah to most of that, and the answer is no on most of it.

However, for remote access you could use livedrive - it is basically an online backup service that you can run constantly in the background from your PC. It syncs automatically with files of your choice or all of your PC. I use it and it's invaluable but does slow the computer down a bit, though I've lost a hard drive this year and was encouraged to find all my MCS, accounts and customer files still intact.

Plus you can access it remotely and they do an Iphone app. Worth a look for £80 ish per year.

Otherwise for linking office files and forms, try MS Access. Not very user friendly but if you could master it could be very useful, or create a macro in excel that will do a lot of what you ask if you can do the programming.

All worth a go, and all on my to do list but on a day to day basis it's quicker just to get on with it than spend time writing a macro to do it for me!

I'm the same with Access - I was full of good intentions to start off with but customers keep getting in the way - very inconsiderate! So I have a contacts database that's 50% finished and bits of other good ideas that are maybe 35% finished and then it all goes downhill from there!

Thanks for livedrive info that might be worth a look.

Not yet. . .
I'd like to see those things plus. . .

An integrated drawing tool which can easily create square ruled layout drawings of roofspace based on onsite measurements. It would have examples of panels, brackets and rails to add and quickly assess fit and conformity. It would be simple, not complex, easily modified and diagrams would be easily stored with all the other documents so that I may refer to it quickly, print or display alternatives.

Another integrated drawing tool to do the circuit diagram of the customers installation. It too would be simple, have examples and easily stored and retrieved like above.

A drop folder to dump photos, scans and pdf's.

A front screen which has quick access to any document/data/picture/manual/invoice/address/agreement in 4 clicks or less - similar in function to windows explorer, but for MCS.

A financial incentive scheme - recommend a fellow installer and get 2% off your annual fee ?

Those would save lots of time, and would be worth their weight. . .

come on then, aloan sugar. let's see an amstrad unit capable of doing all the above tasks, and also making the tea. your next apprentice will surely come up with the basics.

For a remote access try using dropbox. Dead easy to use and it's free! As above I have suffered many IT malfunctions (once an apprentice ran over my site laptop!) only to find all my data intact which is more than I can say for a certain supposedly easy certification programme.

Reply to in a Perfect World .... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net