Discuss in-line fuses in fan isolator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MTI

hi all, bit of an issue... i have a property which is has finished decor and wired in 3 plate. not ideal time to be accessing floors etc for cables and its a flat roof extension with the bathroom and utility etc not being last rooms in circuit.
i would like to keep the fans we have and they have to go in tomorrow. manrose instructions require 3 amp fuse. i noticed other threads online where people have quoted using in line fuse carriers in back of isolator or spur as its as 3 core cable from light to isolator and then 3 core out from 3 pole isolator. i have found some in line fuses at farnell (local to me :) )
they state different designs on bulgin manufacturers site which have different degrees of protection for direct/indirect and finger protection as you will see on data sheet. farnell only have the pc1 i believe its called which means no real protection of finger when inserting fuse. will these meet part p and regs?
cheers guys!
FX0180 - BULGIN - FUSE HOLDER, IN-LINE, 1.1/4"X1 | Farnell United Kingdom

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/308332.pdf data sheet. the link above is for the pc1 with both non and including ip66 but neither have finger protection but anyone removing the isolator should be isolating first :)

If you can change the fan I'm sure that Vortice fans only require a multipole isolator and not additional 3 amp fusing.
The additional fusing is because most manufacturers don't include thermal cut outs in their fans so they cover their backsides by requiring the additional fusing.
IMHO I would not be happy with inline fuses for both the permanant live and switched live as it still doesn't follow the manufacturers instructions which require 1 fuse before the switch.

cheers for your input mate. i dont have time to change the fans and my local only stock manrose at the minute/all ones that require fusing...poor!
jobs hands over tomorrow too.
luckily its stud wall so i can stick a dual/another box in before the triple pole switch and blank plate to cover the fuses. not ideal and ill look ahead in future for this issue on other exisiting installations/upgrades. i appreciate the fuses only break one line each and independantly but nic state in line fuses before switch apparently and they came up with the idea i read on here.

As you've got an isolator for the fan could you re-route the 3 plate wiring to include a fixed unswitched fuse in the ceiling beside the light? Just an idea that would be closer to manufacturers instructions.
Still not sure about 2 seperate fuses, as the point is for the 1 fuse to break both live lines together.

Either put a Fcu in before the light so fuses down the entire bathroom or you could use on of the fuse holders in the light on the feed. Achieving the same thing. But a fcu would be better.

yes my initial thought too but customer wont wear it and i should really take the blame for not spotting it earlier. its an extension with flat roof and no void access. shame or id of done that. i might have to go find some fans elsewhere and save the others for another day. will the bathroom fan require a spur too do you reckon if its 12 transformer type to go in? i thought to cause less mess, i could mount the spur and transformer in loft by hatch and just stick 3 pole switch above bath door. the transformer will have thermal cut out id imagine

cheers for the idea in the light itself. my issue is the rooms in concern are not last in circuit and its twin n earth in and out with 3 core from light to fan. i cant fuse down on incoming side of light. if i used fuse holder in light fitting then i still have issues as there is no window so fan needs over run

shed loads of lights mate :( mk board so bit stuffed on loads i think plus no access to cables particularly where i could mount a spur if i was able to. lights are all looped and fan tapped off light in 3 core

Best bet then mate is to bite the bullet and get a fan with a thermal overload and scrap the whole 3a thing.
That's why suppliers have a return service LOL

yes my thoughts exactly mate. not worth looking at any more ideas and wasting time. just wanted to get on site early and miss traffic but you cant have everything

Just checked Vortice Punto fans online Vortice - A Breath Of Fresh Air For Tomorrow's World . The instruction booklet doesn't mention 3amp fusing, just a multi polar switch, so they should be perfect.
Hope that helps, good luck bud.
Steve

cheers ill check them out. never heard of them but so many exist. might end up silavent route yet depending on whats local as pushed for time but will consider these in future too. all the best

I'm pretty sure that silavent will require 3amp fusing as well. My local Denmans stock Vortice, so it might be worth trying yours, if you've got one.

Reply to in-line fuses in fan isolator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock