Discuss In need of some advice involving car charging points (domestic). in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I've recently qualified to 18th in 2020, I've been in the industry for 5 years now and just need a bit of advice about going down the route of car charging.
In just a domestic sense what extra training and research do I now need to do if I wanted to start installing these?

Hi I've recently qualified to 18th in 2020, I've been in the industry for 5 years now and just need a bit of advice about going down the route of car charging.
In just a domestic sense what extra training and research do I now need to do if I wanted to start installing these?
Watch some of artisan electrician on YouTube, he does loads of domestic car charging installs

Bump. Believe there is a course, and there is all manner of things to consider, especially with the means of earthing, and the different manufacturers stating their equipment is top technology and safe for use.

Hope they get it sorted before I buy my ev car.

When electric cars become compulsory, if im still around will give up driving.

Really? Having been in a Tesla as a passenger I was really impressed and can't wait to drive one. And I'm a biker petrol head. Don't be blinkered!

But its the cost of them Daz

Yeah fair point. But once market forces take effect they will become much cheaper. And let's face it, a car that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for half the money of they equivalent Ferrari- not a bad deal really.

But its the cost of them Daz
I recently looked at the cost of buying a diesel van vs. electric... and over 10 years (the period I would keep the van for) looking at ALL costs... the electric van is cheaper.

Yes the initial costs are higher, but the running costs are alot lower. I didn't factor in any future guesstimates of changes to electricity or diesel prices or any change in the VED on electric vehicles.

If you intend to change a van after say 3 years... it's not so clear cut.

You can do the city and guilds course to get a general view.
For each model of charger there are specific requirements such as type a rcd or just mcb etc.. some require earth rods the good ones dont.
You need to contact the manufacturer for the model specific information and in house training.
I install several every month and have sped up considerably from when i first started as it becomes familiar etc etc.. you also get good at working out times, prices etc so much so I often can quote a very accurate price based on some photos i ask customer to send over. Saves time going to do an in person survey.
If doing just domestic installs you will need olev approval or you are £350 more expensive which greatly hinders you as the other.company will offer the grant making it cheaper.

You will need a very good business plan if going into EV charger installations, there's lots of companies out there doing installs dirt cheap and undercutting to the point where you won't make any money.

You will need a very good business plan if going into EV charger installations, there's lots of companies out there doing installs dirt cheap and undercutting to the point where you won't make any money.
Spot on @Strima some companies.offer free ev chargers as advertising.in hope of getting solar pv or heat pump works. It actually works for them too! Also cashflow is a major issue if doing olev funded installs as.you can wait 90 days for payment. So 10 a month is 3.5k. the most i have been owed by olev is nearly 10k.

As ICE‘s will be banned from 2030, the DNO’s will have to provide the extra capacity.

I suspect the quest for new technologies by manufacturers, will assist them, but it is what it is.

Reply to In need of some advice involving car charging points (domestic). in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net