Discuss In need of testing tools advise.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

albertc30

Hello everybody.

I just started a 2 year course on electrical instalations city and guilds.

Now, as a result, I am in need of a tester. One that can do all of the following if possible and not too expensive.

Continuity
Insulation Resistance
Polarity
Supply voltage
Circuit current

I was wondering if there is a multimeter that would do all this?

Please advise everybody and thanks in advance for the support that I know I will be getting here throughout my course.

Thanks everybody.
Albert

Idont think their is a multimeter that will do that dilog do a MFT that looks like a big multimeter as regards price they all start at about 300 but the more they do the higher the price I have a set of robins i got cheap of the for sale wanted part of the forum keep an eye on their.

best person to advise id forum sponsor, test-meter. for new MFTs. you could try and find a 2nd hand megger 1552 on ebay or eleswhere.

Hi everybody.

I can see already that, given the fast reply to the post, I am indeed in the right place for advise.

I have checked on the megger 1552 on eBay but it is way out of my range price as I just started the course. Wouldn't be using it on the go nor getting any return on it.

Funny enough this is what we use at college.

Any multimeter that will do the most of the required testes?

Thanks everybody.

Albert

a multimeter will not do at all. as your budget is limited, i would go for a second hand megger continuity/insulation tester , look at megger BM400 series.about £50 on ebay. then buy a clamp meter with a volts range for around the same price.

I got my kit when at college just so i could get used to it but if I did it again ?I think I would wait and get a meger oor fluke mft.

I got my kit when at college just so i could get used to it but if I did it again ?I think I would wait and get a meger oor fluke mft.

My point exactly.

I mean, to become a fully qualified electrictian I need to do this 2 year course level 2 and then another 2 year on a level 3.

By then whatever I buy surelly will be outdated by better technology. True one gets to parctise with the real deal, and trust me the college only have 3 testers for a class of 18 students.

Anyway, if anybody has more to bring on to this post please do so as any help is really apreciated and one does not make a haist decision and go buy the wrong equipment.

Thank everybody.

Albert.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using it for training purposes then get a boxed kit of two or three separate instruments such as were used for 16th ed. Robin, martindale, Metrel.
You can often pick these up at car boot sales or internet second hand deals.

Someone I know picked an archaic metrel set of two testers in a case IR/cont. and Loop/RCD. for £20.

Your only problem might be the authenticity of such instruments.....

I would suggest the megger seperates, although you have two instruments, for me when I was learning the test procedure, it was handy having one for the dead testing and the other for the live. once you pass you can splash out on the whistle and bells MFT.

Kewtech has some good prices too.

If you keep trawling ebay, and preloved.co.uk and similar you will eventually come up with a good deal.

You could always try your luck posting a request on freecycle. you might get lucky.

Reply to In need of testing tools advise.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock