Discuss Incoming supply cable disconnected? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kdubs1

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

We’re currently having drainage Installed in our back garden, when the guys digging up concrete next to house came across what looks like a lead covered cable.

They followed it along by digging up the area around it, until it entered a brick in the house, this is where the cable ends (see picture)

Assuming this is the old incoming supply cable, and at some point in the houses life (new cable is marked 2010) it’s had a more updated one installed. (See picture)

The lads seem to think has the cable has been cut like that, it’s dead, but I don’t want them to cut it further down until we know for sure.

I’ve filled in the online form for the electric suppliers but those seem to be more for wanting your setup moved.

Opinions? Can we get some one in to test this? Or does it need to be the electric company?

Thanks

Attachments

• 72C63498-213B-49E0-8F3D-078EF8512393.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 577CEA2D-72E0-4F7E-9880-DDF483ECAD27.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 99
You definitely need an electrician mate, don’t let the builders play with it!....a decent spark can advise and talk to the supplier if need be ?

I guess it could be, we’re far from experts lol

We assumed based on it being next to the fuse box and it’s also got some brown looking fabric coming out the end of the stump.

We do have a blue pipe and stopcock much further into the back of the house.

The house was built in 1880, so I’m sure we’re going to come across all sorts but annoyingly at some point in the houses life the ground levels outside were made too high, levels are bang in line with the air bricks, so we have rain water coming indoors in the winter but whatever this pipe/cable is, it’s going to be above ground level when the final drainage and lower floor goes in

looks to me like old Lead sheathed cable with an incorrect earthing clamp.

For anyone in a similar boat and Googling this in years to come -

We called UK power, explained the situation and they came out and removed the wire within a week.

It was the old mains electricity supply, three pretty think looking copper cables shielded by bitumen type stuff and lead... They treated it like it was a live cable but they confirmed it was actually a dead cable but whoever disconnected it obviously didn't bother to remove it.

Thanks for all your help all.

Reply to Incoming supply cable disconnected? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net