Discuss Incoming tails problem, loss of power in apartment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Looking for some help with this one. Had a call to an apartment today, reporting a loss of power. Got to the job and sure enough nothing on the incoming tails. Went to the meter cupboard where we have a 3 phase incomer, going to banks of BS5419 100a isolators, then to the meter, then to a DP isolator, then the tails from there go through the fabric of the building to the flat about 30/40 meters away. We have 240v coming out of the isolator (L-N) but not at the DB. So, I isolated and removed L-N from the outgoing side of the DP iso and out of the main switch from the DB. IR tested the tails at the DB end, 0.01 at 500v and also a continuity reading between them (700ohms). Carried out the same test at the meter end, IR >999 and no continuity (as should be expected). So its appears that up to one point the cable is fine, and then it appears to have a dead short somewhere. So, if there was a dead short on the tails, Surely there would have been a rather large bang somewhere? Cant physically trace the tails as they disappear into the building in the meter cupboard and dont appear back till the DB in the flat. Building was constructed late 90's-ish. Any help here would be appreciated as the lad in the flat has 2 kids and no power!!

Are you sure you disconnected the right flats tails at the supply end?

what is the cable type between plant room and flat? Curiosity.
He had a new meter and isolator installed this morning after he called his energy provider. It's the only meter there with a DP isolator and the customer tells me it's definitely that meter & isolator.

Ist rule of fault finding, gather information and trust none of it unless YOU can verify it.

Assuming correct tails each end,
Then it could be the tails have been cut or drilled through and are touching (to earth) in the direction of the D.B and separated in the direction of the Cutout.

Depending on the building layout it could have been a hole drilled from outside,.

Ist rule of fault finding, gather information and trust none of it unless YOU can verify it.

Assuming correct tails each end,
Then it could be the tails have been cut or drilled through and are touching (to earth) in the direction of the D.B and separated in the direction of the Cutout.

Depending on the building layout it could have been a hole drilled from outside,.
I've asked him to get the meter number from the provider so I can double check

Looking for some help with this one. Had a call to an apartment today, reporting a loss of power. Got to the job and sure enough nothing on the incoming tails. Went to the meter cupboard where we have a 3 phase incomer, going to banks of BS5419 100a isolators, then to the meter, then to a DP isolator, then the tails from there go through the fabric of the building to the flat about 30/40 meters away. We have 240v coming out of the isolator (L-N) but not at the DB. So, I isolated and removed L-N from the outgoing side of the DP iso and out of the main switch from the DB. IR tested the tails at the DB end, 0.01 at 500v and also a continuity reading between them (700ohms). Carried out the same test at the meter end, IR >999 and no continuity in (as should be expected). So its appears that up to one point the cable is fine, and then it appears to have a dead short somewhere. So, if there was a dead short on the tails, Surely there would have been a rather large bang somewhere? Cant physically trace the tails as they disappear into the building in the meter cupboard and dont appear back till the DB in the flat. Building was constructed late 90's-ish. Any help here would be appreciated as the lad in the flat has 2 kids and no power!!

Yeah that's the scenario. The meter guy proved 240 coming out of the DP isolator and that's as far as he went.
Those jokers are better at reading meters than fault finding.

If a supply fault's been reported to the supply authority they wouldn't have sent a meter installer to solve things by changing the meter.

If they did, It's worrying.

Is the power still off to the apartment?

Makes you wonder what was going through the meter fitters head whilst they were there going to all that trouble and still not fixing the problem.

Did the meter monkey get the cables in the clamps and tighten them up?

Those jokers are better at reading meters than fault finding.

If a supply fault's been reported to the supply authority they wouldn't have sent a meter installer to solve things by changing the meter.

If they did, It's worrying.
I think the lad rang his supplier rather than the dno.

Reply to Incoming tails problem, loss of power in apartment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net