Discuss Incomplete ring circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

With regard to switching out a 32a mcb for a 20a, how do you all feel about a live conductor potentially floating around in a back box somewhere if this has been done because there is open circuit rather than multiple sockets from same spur off ring
I think if you have an open ring that is one or two of the 3 conductors it should and can be fixed fairly easily, so I would not accept a MCB change as a fix.

However, if someone has completely opened the ring in to two radials, or has added multiple spurs, you might find that a proper fix is difficult = time consuming = expensive. In this case a MCB change is acceptable in my mind.

Pubs are a different breed altogether. We would do a 20% test of the installation each year. In most cases I was getting the last 20% so all the rings were left as the years before the lads had just opted for the easier radials. Lots of adapted circuits, countless spurs on spurs. Pubs are awful. Still it’s rare I’ve seen any thermal damage on a ring.
Was doing repairs and maintenance on pubs before lockdown.

They are hands down the worst installations I have ever seen, absolute nightmares ?.

I've just counted 4 out of the last 10 EICRs I've done had open rings (mainly Neutrals).
I think 3 of them were in terminal boxes under floors from memory.

Personally I would like to see sockets redesigned to reduce the chance of bad connections. Perhaps using 3 push-in connectors for each of live, neutral and earth? Then even a DIYer shouldn't mess it up or add too many spurs. I'm always coming across bad connections when spurs are involved. Sometimes it's not visually obvious to see whether all the conductors are in place and I suspect a lot become loose when the socket has been pushed back into place (which is why I always pull the accessory out again a little and retighten - especially with 6mm oven and shower switches which are ALWAYS loose!)

I've just counted 4 out of the last 10 EICRs I've done had open rings (mainly Neutrals).
I think 3 of them were in terminal boxes under floors from memory.

Personally I would like to see sockets redesigned to reduce the chance of bad connections. Perhaps using 3 push-in connectors for each of live, neutral and earth? Then even a DIYer shouldn't mess it up or add too many spurs. I'm always coming across bad connections when spurs are involved. Sometimes it's not visually obvious to see whether all the conductors are in place and I suspect a lot become loose when the socket has been pushed back into place (which is why I always pull the accessory out again a little and retighten - especially with 6mm oven and shower switches which are ALWAYS loose!)
Great idea for the push in connection,also love the Colour id on some sockets too,for the cables

Reply to Incomplete ring circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net