Discuss Incorrect supply cable & boiler problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bignev

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone…I have a quick query regarding an issue I’m having with my boiler at home. There has been no hot water, the electrician has come out and diagnosed that the supply from the main fuse board has blown the clock and fuse spur. They also found that the cable is a flex cable and not the normal twin earth supply cable. The company that carried out the original installation (and issued the EICR) have stated they are not liable for this, that it wouldn’t have been checked and if it was would only have been a recommendation to get the correct cable installed. Is this right? The cost of the repair is high and a big unexpected expense for a recent installation :-(.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Let’s have a look at the installation certificate

Gas engineers don’t do EICRs… it would be a gas safety/ boiler installation cert they did.
Maybe an EIC if they put in a new switch fuse for the boiler.

They could have just fitted a plug and plugged it in.

Photos are going to help here, but as mentioned, the supply cable to the sw/fuse shouldn’t be a huge problem unless it’s drastically undersized or only a 2 core or something.

Is this a Gas Boiler or Hot water cylinder with immersion heaters (sometimes called a boiler by people)?
It's with it saying no hot water and Electrican called and clock and fuse spur.

and diagnosed that the supply from the main fuse board has blown the clock and fuse spur.
I'm not sure how they've figured out a possible faulty cable from the main fuse board has caused the fused spur and timer to fail.

Hi everyone…I have a quick query regarding an issue I’m having with my boiler at home. There has been no hot water, the electrician has come out and diagnosed that the supply from the main fuse board has blown the clock and fuse spur. They also found that the cable is a flex cable and not the normal twin earth supply cable. The company that carried out the original installation (and issued the EICR) have stated they are not liable for this, that it wouldn’t have been checked and if it was would only have been a recommendation to get the correct cable installed. Is this right? The cost of the repair is high and a big unexpected expense for a recent installation :-(.

Thanks for your help and advice!
This doesn't really make much sense (my bold) are you sure you have not misheard or mis-understood what the electrician has said?

Just quoting verbatum from the message he sent me
Ok, well I'd be tempted to ask him to clarify in more detail because this doesn't make any sense and we will be unable to help with any useful suggestions unless we have clearer details. The only way I can see that the supply has caused the issue is if sensitive electronics has be damaged due to a spike/surge in the supply. But again, without more detail I cant see how this has anything to do with the type of cable used.

Ok, well I'd be tempted to ask him to clarify in more detail because this doesn't make any sense and we will be unable to help with any useful suggestions unless we have clearer details. The only way I can see that the supply has caused the issue is if sensitive electronics has be damaged due to a spike/surge in the supply. But again, without more detail I cant see how this has anything to do with the type of cable used.
Ok on it…will let you know the response! Appreciate the feedback and help

The original post says that they believed that the supply had caused the issue, but that they ALSO NOTICED that the supply cables was incorrect. I think they are blaming surges rather than the cable.

Reply to Incorrect supply cable & boiler problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock