Discuss Incorrect wireing install ??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Equity

After 2 yrs of a PV install ,no change on the electricity bill,so I had a look at the set up.
The installer has cut the wires between the incoming fuse and mains meter and connected a Henly block.The PV is connected to the Henly block,Ie incoming mains supply of the electric board meter.
I am no expert but surely this means any power generated goes directly back to the grid and not to me.
Needless to say the install company hs now folded,any ideas where I stand?
If I am correct its a simple 10 min job to rewire,but 2 yrs with no gain.

will try to put one on.
Where do we stand with all these companies going under .Feel sorry for the poor workforce,taken on in the good times then dumped when the tarrif dropped.
My Aurora inverter has a ten yr guarrantee ...but with who now?
Is there any protective body I can seek help or advice from ?

The power generated comes to you, BUT it passes through your meter so you get charged for it.

The Grid gains at your expense.

How come it took you 2 years to notice no reduction in your bill?

Hang on....are you saying I have been paying for the 7800 KWH generated over the past two yrs on top of my normal bill ???? ..no way ...
Does it not just go back to the grid?

Hang on....are you saying I have been paying for the 7800 KWH generated over the past two yrs on top of my normal bill ???? ..no way ...
Does it not just go back to the grid?
you've been paying for everything you use even if you've generated it yourself.

we had this happen with one installation that we caught after a few months, fixed and paid compensation for. I'm still baffled about how it can happen, as nobody should be touching the cables between the meter and the suppliers fuse end of.

Just look on the bright side, you still have 23 years on the high tarrif and now that you have realised you will save more....
If you have a hot water tank then get an Immersun device fitted and save even more wonger....

OK thanks for the advice.
AS the company has gone ,is there no insurance incase a company goes bust?
They also fitted a heap of free installs ,where would all the fit payments go

The power generated comes to you, BUT it passes through your meter so you get charged for it.

The Grid gains at your expense.

How come it took you 2 years to notice no reduction in your bill?

Would a device like the elios4you or geo chorus pv picked this up?

Hi equity

found same problem whilst installing immersun unit, customer unaware thought they had a great job only when connecting the sensor for immersun did i notice, spoke with customer asked if he was happy with install, over the moon mentioned that he was paying for all power even during the day & that his power was going straight to grid, lucky for him company still in business 2years later, aksed him to give them a call just to check this was how system was meant to be they were out next day. not uncommon

Just phoned a mate who has been argueing with his supplier due to not having saved anything on his bill.Told him to have a look outside in his meter cupboard and guess what ???????
His PV company also folded recently.
How many more installs have been incorrectly wired in ?

So all my KWH have been given freely to EDF ......Damn those French !!!!!!!
:(

Just thought I'd point out that power doesn't just 'flow out to the grid' now. Your home will use just as much of the power as if they system had been installed between the CU and the meter. It's just that the meter is registering this power.

Your energy bills won't rise, they just won't come down as you are still paying for all of the generated power that you use as if it had been taken from the grid.

How many more installs have been incorrectly wired in ?

I'd love to know. Honestly, it is such a bafflingly stupid mistake that I really struggle to get my head around it. Even for non-electricians it is pretty much common sense.

We had a guy working for us who made the same mistake.

I guess if the monitor system was installed as badly as the meter then no:)

However anyone following the installation instructions would probably pick up that something doesn't look right..

Or else if you don't know what the readings should be then what you get won't highlight any anomolies. So per se the monitoring system wouldn't highlight this as it's only relating to the position one or the other side of the Consumer Meter.

Just out of curiosity, I visited the premesis of the old solar company,no name board outside ,but a building company instead.A small field of solar panels sat beside the offices......
The receptionist hesitantly buzzed me thru the front door and I asked about the company.Gone ,she said.Asked about the field of panels....."Dont know" she said.Hmmmm !!!
So this stupid Government goes green,gets everyones hopes up,new business ,new jobs for roofers,sparkys,nice clean job ,environmentally friendly,jobs alround............but no...a lot of people invest and form instal companies.....then they decide to cut the tarrif....and again ...and again.Soon to be totally cut.Where is the sense???

My question is after so many thousand free installs where does the FIT payment go after a company goes bust.........oh let me guess !!

I guess if the monitor system was installed as badly as the meter then no:)

However anyone following the installation instructions would probably pick up that something doesn't look right..

Or else if you don't know what the readings should be then what you get won't highlight any anomolies. So per se the monitoring system wouldn't highlight this as it's only relating to the position one or the other side of the Consumer Meter.

Thank you for answering my question. If its a bright sunny day and the monitor showing zero power you would know theirs a problem. Or if the solar been connected to the meter incorrectly would it show what the whole street usage?

Thank you for answering my question. If its a bright sunny day and the monitor showing zero power you would know theirs a problem. Or if the solar been connected to the meter incorrectly would it show what the whole street usage?

It won't show the whole street :) What it will show is impossible to say as that all depends how the PV system is wired and how the monitoring system is wired :)

Reply to Incorrect wireing install ??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net