Discuss Increasing system size from 3.6kw to 3.9kw in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stelip

Hi,

We have 20*180 panels connected via two stings into a SMA 4000TL Inverter.

The system is registered and currently claiming FITS at 43.3p

We have space for 4 more panels.

Whats the FITS's MCS process to increase a system size and stay under the 4KW with the same inverter, who has to be notified?

Best regards
Stephen Liptrott

The 4000TL is a fantastic piece of kit and operates quite well. Its basically 2x 2kW in 1 box and will hopefully get me through a couple of tight spots over the next couple of weeks.

Im now looking for the process of adding 4kW to an existing 4kW system.........

I am looking at a similar mission, upgrage the exiting 3.6 to 3.9 and then apply to the DNO for another 2KW. Trying to understand the process of upgrading the 3.6 to 3.9 and the associated paper work.

Best Regards
Stephen Liptrott

My best guess is register the addition as a new install, with a meter reading off of the currently installed meter ( for me giving a start date of the lower rate), then inform my FIL licensee of the addition with generation meter reading of the effective change in rates.

Looks like you will be paying a £15 Gemserve fee for a 0.3kW increase to your system size.

Strangely we phone the DNO to connect 3.8 through the 4000tl. Nominal amps would be 16.02. They said to just crack on don't wait for the g59 response. I asked for it in writing but didn't get it.

I think on the 4000tl you can change then settings using a grid guard number limiting the output to 16amps. I've not done but we are investigating. Then when the g59 come through go back and take it off.

I mean 16.02 amps.... How many Dec place are you supposed to but on the form.

3.6 through the 4000tl is a good set up.

Strangely we phone the DNO to connect 3.8 through the 4000tl. Nominal amps would be 16.02. They said to just crack on don't wait for the g59 response. I asked for it in writing but didn't get it.

I think on the 4000tl you can change then settings using a grid guard number limiting the output to 16amps. I've not done but we are investigating. Then when the g59 come through go back and take it off.

I mean 16.02 amps.... How many Dec place are you supposed to but on the form.

3.6 through the 4000tl is a good set up.

Which DNO was this? I'm interested since I have just dropped my personal install from 3.9 to 3.5 to avoid the wait for DNO G59 approval...... My installer claims it may take several weeks for G59 approval at the moment and hence miss 12th Dec deadline.

I'm with your installer. I have had issues getting approval for the 4000TL - I have made plenty of phone calls and they always tell me that they're not happy with simply limiting the power output of the inverter.

I was thinking about this... What is the way around it? Basically we were told put the g59 in and then install and commission. And wait for the g59 come through...

Now does it effect the customer fits? No I'm led to believe. Worst case is we get a slap on the wrist and have to adjust the system after commissioning. I don't really know.

F eking joke, we can't even follow the own guidelines cause of stupid deadlines unclear details and 0.02 nominal flecking amps

I'm probably missing something but just been looking at a G83/1 from UK power networks and the SSEG rating can be declared either as KW or A/V & PF. This is to be declared under normal operating conditions and allows for the inverter efficiency. So if you take 3.9KW array subtract 3.0% for the inverter gives 3.783KW. Even though mains is a nominal 230v the normal operating conditions (which is what they ask for) would be around 240v so that would be 15.76A / 240v so cant this just be done on G83/1

Last edited:
I done 100 3.7kwp with a 4000tl. 20*185's. Now suddenly the factory is only pumping out 190's and I can only get 4000tl's. Not normally a prob but with 12/12... I can't wait for the g59...

Sucks right now...

Electricity north west said the same to me, just crack on and dont worry about it as it can be limited

Electricity North West are one of the few DNOs who permit a 3.84kW system to be installed without going to a G83/2 request, which is probably why they are less sniffy about the 4000TL.

you can change the output to 3.68 untill they give you the go head
you will need a sim guard code from sma to adjust the settings
when i apply to the dno i stale i will change the over freq setting to 51.5hz and 500ms time,
and with g83 settings has per guidance note 2 (which is ok up to end of march 2012).
sma 4000tl inverters with a v in the serial number, are set to 3.68kw output and are for the uk market

Reply to Increasing system size from 3.6kw to 3.9kw in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net