Discuss Indoor Light switches with 40mm instead of 60mm in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if i can still get indoor light switches with the older style 40mm between screws istead of the more standard 60mm between screws? Ive been looking for a while and cant find any, the house was build in the 30's im guessing that was the standard back then.

Cheers

Have you taken the front off any of these switches?

Hi,

Does anyone know if i can still get indoor light switches with the older style 40mm between screws istead of the more standard 60mm between screws? Ive been looking for a while and cant find any, the house was build in the 30's im guessing that was the standard back then.

Cheers
You mean the old circular light switches like this?

I was thinking, they may be grid plate style.
With the inner frame screw holes at 60mm and the screws for the front cover at 40mm.

Never seen a switch like that, looks like a BESA box in the wall but it must have an angled conduit entry or the screws will not be horizontal.

Replace the round box with a square back box.
Is there a CPC?

Think ill just add a 20mm box if i cant get the switches, the wall is bad enough unfortunatly dont really want to dig more holes to put the square back box in. Cheers all

Reply to Indoor Light switches with 40mm instead of 60mm in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

The house I've just moved into is fitted with the light switches shown in the pics. They are fitted to each bedroom and the landing. The landing...
Replies
Views
Just bought an old house (about 30-40 years old) with a separate shop building. I am in the process of replacing old fluorescent fixtures with...
Replies
Views
Hey guys! New DIY 'new build' homeowner trying to not cause any damage to wiring! I'm looking to swap out the existing traditional light...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I did train as an electrician but never worked as one so my experience is limited and ive not done anything for a while now. I have an...
Replies
Views
Thank you in advance for your help. I recently purchased a home and while removing some built-ins I found that they had a 14/2 wire running...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock