Discuss Indoor PIR in the kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jsg_85

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys

Wondering if you could help.

I wanted to fit an indoor PIR sensor in the kitchen which would control 20 led down lights.

My kids have a bad habit of leaving the lights on and leaving the room.

Is this possible? Can anyone send me a link to any good ones? How easy are they to fit?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jay.

The PIR is basically a movement/heat operated switch which would need to be, in simple terms, a replacement to the manually operated one.
Not a difficult install and no likely problems with loading or lack of it.
However,
Things to consider would be position of PIR sw; how to get the necessary wiring to it to provide correct safe operation, the necessary electrical and mechanical protection;
Would the PIR sw be a simple replacement or would it be able to interact with the manual switch.?
If these questions are not upmost in your design then it might be expedient to find a competent electrician

Last edited:
I fitted 4 flush pirs indoors for convenience and safety , electricity cost not so much an issue now with led

Top and bottom landing , toilet and half of kitchen. Best addition ever to house wiring imo.

Simple enough job but you need a spark to evaluate operation , pir rating and safety etc

electricity cost not so much an issue now with led
I was also wondering how many hours of usage would have to be saved to pay for the PIR...

You could look at something like this as a straight replacement for your light switch, if it is 1-gang.

I was also wondering how many hours of usage would have to be saved to pay for the PIR...

You could look at something like this as a straight replacement for your light switch, if it is 1-gang.
Now that PIR device would be about the simplest solution for our OP.

Need to check the back box for that

Supplied with a pp3 battery -would put me off
Says it fits in a 25mm back box, and/or has an extender. But many alternatives either need a neutral and/or won't switch LED lighting. So I guess some compromises might be needed. Or just wait for the kids to grow out of their "forgetfulness".

UK lighting design seems to be so constrained by the lack of neutral at the switch, will it ever change for the masses? And so difficult to retro-fit. I'm abroad, I have neutral in all my light switches as the cables came up from the floor to the switch, then up to the ceiling.

Reply to Indoor PIR in the kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock