Discuss Induction hob conecction cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jd321123

Hi, I have recently had the kitchen rewired and want to fit a 7.2kw induction hob. Wire in wall is 6mm t+e to the power outlet backed up by a 32a mcb. the hob will be installed in the worktop directly above a built under double oven. The instillation manual for the hob specifies cable type ho5v2v2 f to connect it to the mains. I cannot find this cable anywhere. The electrician who carried out the rewire says that he would usually use standard 6mm t+e.

I take it that the cable may have to have a higher heat resistance than standard t+e? If thats the case would this cable be suitable that i have found on tlc direct website? Or what would you guys use?

3183tq 3 core butylflex 4mm

Thanks, Jack.

The instillation manual for the hob specifies cable type ho5v2v2 f to connect it to the mains. I cannot find this cable anywhere. The electrician who carried out the rewire says that he would usually use standard 6mm t+e.

HO5 is a trailing cable, it has multistranded conductors so it's flexible. Twin +e is installation cable, it has solid conductors and isn't designed to be used as a trailing cable.

Any high temp trailing cable should be suitable, if you can't find HO5, you could use HO7 in neoprene which is rated higher.

Although flexible cable should be used for fixed equipment which may be moved for cleaning, 521.9.3 does make provision for allowing non-flexible cables to be used where no vibration is present (T&E)
That said, if the cable is required to be heat-resisting, or the manufacturers instructions specifically state that a certain cable must be used then that will take priority.

Thanks for the replies. Its just a bit frustrating when you buy the hob andthey insist on you using a cable that is not readily availible. Ive emailed batt cables and they only sell the ho5 in 100m reels. Although the ho7 type that marvo suggested is easy to get hold of, might have to go for some of that stuff.

Possibly yes, just depends wether its something anyone has to hand. I wouldnt want to pay my electrician to connect it up if as he says he just 'uses standard t+e' as i could easily do that myself. Cheers for all the advice

They have been connecting 7/044 and 6mm T&E cable directly too cookers and hob's ever since i've been in this industry as a matter of standard practice, so what's so different now?? Never, not once have i ever seen heat damage to these cables from normal usage. The only damage i've ever seen is mechanical (entrapment) damage and burning damage caused totally by bad/loose connections to either the CCU or the oven itself....

If these manufacturers want heat resisting, or other special cable connecting their appliances, then they should supply the appliance with the said cable factory connected!!! It's all absolute piffle for a standard domestic installation....

They have been connecting 7/044 and 6mm T&E cable directly too cookers and hob's ever since i've been in this industry as a matter of standard practice, so what's so different now?? Never, not once have i ever seen heat damage to these cables from normal usage. The only damage i've ever seen is mechanical (entrapment) damage and burning damage caused totally by bad/loose connections to either the CCU or the oven itself....

If these manufacturers want heat resisting, or other special cable connecting their appliances, then they should supply the appliance with the said cable factory connected!!! It's all absolute piffle for a standard domestic installation....

Have to agree with you Eng. Unfortunately, that magic "manufacturers instructions" keeps rearing its ugly head.

Have to agree with you Eng. Unfortunately, that magic "manufacturers instructions" keeps rearing its ugly head.

9 times out of 10, those instructions are referring to other countries standards... I've never seen a cable connection box, on a cooking appliance yet, that looked as if it could withstand 90C anyway. The covers of which are normally that sloppy plastic stuff that only the retaining screws keep them from misshaping... lol!!

I know exactly what i would be doing in the OP's situation!!

or he can get a couple of meters of HO from b&q.

Couldn't agree more, had a similar situation recently with a range oven, but when you look at the rats nest of singles inside the back of the oven it kind of defies the point....

I agree a high temp cable shouldn't even be necessary and if it is they ought to supply it with one.
We also use T+e cable or even singles for ovens and stoves but we run it in flexible conduit to help maintain a better bending radius and to give protection from some of the grease that might get back there. The only thing that might not conform with T+e is if it gets kinked when you push the appliance into position.

I agree a high temp cable shouldn't even be necessary and if it is they ought to supply it with one.
We also use T+e cable or even singles for ovens and stoves but we run it in flexible conduit to help maintain a better bending radius and to give protection from some of the grease that might get back there. The only thing that might not conform with T+e is if it gets kinked when you push the appliance into position.

Just bought 5 metres H05V2V2-F FROM Power Wholesale :: Electrical Wholesalers

Reply to Induction hob conecction cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock