• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Induction hob plus oven wiring - rating? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need to have an induction hob and oven connected up. Units are:
Hob: AEG HK654400XB Induction hob - HK654400XB | AEG - https://www.aeg.co.uk/kitchen/cooking/hobs/induction-hob/hk654400xb2/
Oven: Miele H2561BP Miele Ovens | H 2561 BP Oven - https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/ovens-1451.htm?mat=10116060&name=H_2561_BP

There is an existing cooker circuit with isolator. Each wire, pos and neg, inside the isolator has an outer diameter including PVC cover of 5mm. So I need to know:
1. What the existing wiring is in cable size/capacity
2. If this is enough allowing for diversity
3. Or do I need a new feed from the fuse box for the induction hob, which seems the more greedy of the two.
Can someone fill me in on where to go here? I do know some basic DIY electronics so would understand ratings.

generally, the existing circuit would be 6mm ( cross section, not diameter)and that is fine for up to 15kW (total rating) of cooking appliances. what size MCB is protecting the cable? best advice is to get a local spark to check and test the circuit and then advise on whether it will cope .

The cooker fuse for the existing circuit is 45A. Not sure if the cable is 6mm or 10mm. Can anyone give me a definitive answer based on the fact that the OD of each single wire is 5mm including PVC cover? What's that?

More tricky than that. The cable will be composed of 7 strands, so measure a strand, apply the formula and multiply by 7 to get the measured csa of the cable.
Hope you have a micrometer!
Not so easy, this electrickery stuff, is it?

Sounds like 6mm. Looking up Farnell specs, 6mm total OD is 4.85mm, rated 48A. Fuse is 45A That sounds close. 10mm is OD 6.3mm which is more than the 5mm I measured.

Using Ohm's law, 230v at 48A is 11kW which is what's required in total. Looks borderline but not impossible.

Earth is insulated yellow/green. Wiring was put in in the 1980s.

is it a 45A fuse or a MCB? or are you going by the isolator rating?

he's basically saying that you are out of your depth and should seek the services of an electrician.

OK - 2 points here. I've been designing and building tube amplifiers for 10 years and I can assure you they are complex designs and they all work. I said I was familiar with DIY electronics, tubes in my case. Not electrical house and appliance wiring and the associated regs. That's something else. So please no more sarky comments. I will be using an electrician to do the work - I'm not doing this myself. I'm just planning it at this stage because I want to know if the existing circuit is adequate for the load. Any questions?

If it is a flat T&E then having a stranded earth there is every chance it is 10.0, can you show a pic.

Reply to Induction hob plus oven wiring - rating? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back