Discuss Induction hob. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bogart

-
DIY
Reaction score
Am about to install an induction hob and can either use single phase or three phase. Will use singles in conduit. Maximun load is 11Kw so either single phase in 6mm or 3phase using 2.5mm. If I use 3 phase I will get a normal cooker isolation switch to operate a 4 pole contactor, as am not too keen on an industrial looking switch by the hob!

Is there any overiding reason I should use one over the other?

Can I ask why would it not be considered isolation?

In the same way a light switch isn't considered isolation.

Most contactors, unless "safety rated" don't have the required gap distance between contacts to meet isolation rules.

Also bear in mind, it would break the N at the same time as the lines, really lines need to break first, and connect last.

Are you sure there is an option for 3p and not just 2 line and N which can have two individual circuits or be bridged together?

Assume you mean on the hob. No is definite 3 phase , 5 core flexible supplied in addition to usual 3 core.

In the same way a light switch isn't considered isolation.

Most contactors, unless "safety rated" don't have the required gap distance between contacts to meet isolation rules.

Also bear in mind, it would break the N at the same time as the lines, really lines need to break first, and connect last.

So tell me how does a normal cooker switch "isolate" the appliance?
I can see nothing wrong in using a 4pole NC contactor. Only need an isolator switch in case of emergency and in that case as long as the lives and neutral are opened fine. As there is no actual electrical reg requirement for local isolation of an appliance I cannot see why my suggestion is not valid.

So tell me how does a normal cooker switch "isolate" the appliance?
I can see nothing wrong in using a 4pole NC contactor. Only need an isolator switch in case of emergency and in that case as long as the lives and neutral are opened fine. As there is no actual electrical reg requirement for local isolation of an appliance I cannot see why my suggestion is not valid.

A normal cooker isolator puts a gap in the circuit of a set amount. There is a difference between functional switching and switching for isolation. However a functional switch in some circumstances can be both, an MCB for example.

Also, if you are going down this route, you'll want a normally open contactor. This way, if it fails, it is more likely to fail in a safe manner.

Hi - my 20p is that a contactor will always be on, consuming a few Watts and possibly buzzing. So I wouldn’t use one for a domestic cooker. I’d try for a rotary switch in an adjacent cupboard.

A 4 pole NC contactor fed from a switch on the wall is about as far away from a safe means of isolation as I can imagine.

If you had an engineer round to fix a problem and the turned off the isolation switch, they would expect that there would be no way it could become energised again without them operating the switch.

However, if the coil failed or any of the control wiring was disturbed and became separated the cooker would become live again. There are so many ways this could go wrong.

You can get some reasonably small and neat 3 phase isolator, you don’t need to get some plastic rotary thing with a yellow handle.

Reactions: DPG
just fix this in the adjacent cupboard, or.... if you want to annoy the wife, fix it in plain sight. Tell her it's 18th Ed. regs.
Induction hob. 1566840737627 - EletriciansForums.net

A normal cooker isolator puts a gap in the circuit of a set amount. There is a difference between functional switching and switching for isolation. However a functional switch in some circumstances can be both, an MCB for example.

Also, if you are going down this route, you'll want a normally open contactor. This way, if it fails, it is more likely to fail in a safe manner.
Only problem with a NO is that it will be constantly powered up unless one switches it off after every cooker use.

Am receiving conflicting advice as to local isolation. Is a cooker as such required to have a local isolation point or is say the MCB in the CU good enough?

Am receiving conflicting advice as to local isolation. Is a cooker as such required to have a local isolation point or is say the MCB in the CU good enough?

It seems wise to have local isolation near to a cooking appliance.

I would agree wise but is it a regulation?

And one more question . Is there anything to stop me running the hob in 3 phase even though I have 3 CU each on a different phase? I was intending having a 20 Amp MCB in each for the hob. The hob is split into 3 zones so I
assumed, rightly or wrongly , that this was permissible.

No no and no again. You can not do that.

And one more question . Is there anything to stop me running the hob in 3 phase even though I have 3 CU each on a different phase? I was intending having a 20 Amp MCB in each for the hob. The hob is split into 3 zones so I
assumed, rightly or wrongly , that this was permissible.
Wrongly.

You need to be able to isolate or switch off instantly at the same time.
Even more important is disconnection in the event of a fault.

to summise,

Yes you do need to be able to isolate the supply
reg. 464 + 537

also, being a hob that could start a fire if it were to overheat,
reg 465 would apply.

just to make life simple and easy, get a spark in and they will do all the worrying about compliance with the regs (30 seconds thinking time)
then put in a supply that is both safe and functional.

Reply to Induction hob. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock