Discuss Inductive Charging Circuit Design Help in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
In Short: I need help designing a circuit between a receiving induction coil and a battery load.

Longer Explanation:
I am entering a science fair project this year which requires wireless charging of a drone. So far, a have a transmitting coil that takes 12V at 2 amperes and the receiver coil is able to pick up 5V at 2 amperes when in an optimal range. However, I discovered that whenever I add a load to my receiver coil (the drone battery), it causes the receiver coil's PCB to make a strange noise and does not charge the battery.
Keep in mind: After testing, we found that this battery can charge with anywhere from 3v to 12v at 2-3 amperes.
So, I concluded that the battery was simply drawing too much from the receiver coil, which caused some malfunctions in the coil's PCB circuit.

I need a circuit (between the coil and battery) that can:
  • Prevent the load from drawing too much from the coil
  • Maybe step down 5v to a lower voltage (3.7?) but for more amperage.

Sorry if I come off as stupid, I know very little about electronics and I have no idea what components I would need to make this circuit operate without malfunctioning.

A quick recap on readings:
  • Transmitting coil input: 12V at 2 amperes
  • Receiver coil output: 5V at ~2 amperes
  • Battery requirements: 3-12V at 2-3 amperes

For reference: the drone is a mavic mini and the coils can be found here: US $8.54 3% OFF|DC 9V 12V Large Current Wireless Power Supply Charger Module 5V 2A Transmitter Receiver Charging Coil Module DIY XKT 412|charger module|power modulewireless charging module - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32310638853.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.c4f63c00gJ8oNd&mp=1

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Then the noise may have been the coils of the inductor vibrating as a result of the unexpected operating conditions :)

Assuming the receiver still works, at the very minimum you'll need something to prevent current flowing from the battery into the receiver module. Given the circumstances I might be inclined to use a suitably rated Schottky diode as these tend (unless I'm much mistaken) to have a much lower forward voltage drop than regular silicon rectifier diodes.

After that, depending on the battery chemistry, you'll need a suitable charge controller unless you can 100% guarantee such a device is built into the battery and you may need something like a buck converter to raise the voltage to the range required by the battery charge controller. If the drone has a USB port that can be used for charging the battery (somehow I doubt it for reasons of weight/space), then you could make a simple voltage regulator and provide the power to charge via the USB port, putting the responsibility for charge control back into the hands of the drone, but the power you feed to a USB chargeport must be a stable 5v... if in doubt, lookup the USB standards documents and check what the voltage is and the required tolerance.

Inductive Charging Circuit Design Help Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 3.17.24 PM - EletriciansForums.net
@SparkyChick

Because the drone takes power from a micro USB cable directly from a basic wall power-to-usb, such as this one, I would assume that it does not need a charge controller?

I took what you suggested to quickly put the above diagram together. A 5-volt regulator that feeds to a diode and resistor and eventually out. Ground simply passes through the regulator and to the output. The regulator is a normal 7805. Would this suffice? Also, assuming the 5v regulator has a minimum voltage, what would happen if it gets less than the minimum?

Last edited:
The low input/output voltage difference can present a problem to some regulators. It's been a while since I did any serious amount of electronics design, but in your situation I think I would be looking at LDO (low drop out) regulators... if memory serves such devices are better at handling the situation where the desired output is close to the input voltage.

Whenever you select one of these devices, you should refer to the datasheet as these often have reference designs... the ubiquitious 7805 regulator for example, the LM7805 from Fairchild for example should have some decoupling capacitors on the input/output... and given the variable nature of the supply source, a couple of smoothing capacitors on the input/output might be a good addition.

The resistor... what purpose does that serve? If you're looking to limit the current to prevent damage a fuse is better alternative as it won't cause a voltage drop of anything like a resistor.

The low input/output voltage difference can present a problem to some regulators. It's been a while since I did any serious amount of electronics design, but in your situation I think I would be looking at LDO (low drop out) regulators... if memory serves such devices are better at handling the situation where the desired output is close to the input voltage.

Whenever you select one of these devices, you should refer to the datasheet as these often have reference designs... the ubiquitious 7805 regulator for example, the LM7805 from Fairchild for example should have some decoupling capacitors on the input/output... and given the variable nature of the supply source, a couple of smoothing capacitors on the input/output might be a good addition.

The resistor... what purpose does that serve? If you're looking to limit the current to prevent damage a fuse is better alternative as it won't cause a voltage drop of anything like a resistor.
Ok, I swapped the resistor with a resettable fuse. Is there a specific decoupling and smoothing capacitor you could recommend? I know next to nothing about them.

You should refer to the datasheet for the regulator. Such devices will nearly always include example base designs in the datasheet.

To be honest, I'm kind of hoping that someone who is more knowledgeable in these areas than I will jump in and provide some more technical advice :)

As above, check the data sheet. Although to be honest I think with your level of knowledge you may be better buying a pre-made regulator circuit. But watch out for the issue SC mentioned - you need to ensure the difference between input voltage and required output voltage is not too small.

No need to agree... LOL :D

As best as I can tell, you're moving in the right direction. The diode I would put on the input side of the regulator not the output. If this is ultimately going to be connected to the USB port, you won't get any back feeding from that and the diode then become just a protective device to protect against reversed polarity on the input.

Inductive Charging Circuit Design Help Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 3.50.53 PM - EletriciansForums.net

@SparkyChick Thank you for the advice :praying: :) I redrew the circuit.

@DPG But watch out for the issue SC mentioned - you need to ensure the difference between input voltage and required output voltage is not too small.
What do you mean by "not too small"? Also I'm decently comfortable with making the circuit and printing the PCB, as I've already done it for the transmitting side of the circuit. I just can't figure this one out for whatever reason. I'm stumped.

Have you downloaded the data sheet yet?

Does it tell you the minimum voltage difference allowable between input voltage and output voltage?

Sorry, what actually is the input voltage you have?

Does it tell you the minimum voltage difference allowable between input voltage and output voltage?

Sorry, what actually is the input voltage you have?
It does not define the min. input voltage for the 7805 specifically, it just gave a range for all 78-- models: 5v - 18v. My input voltage (when in optimal range of transmitter) is 5V at around 2 amps

It does not define the min. input voltage for the 7805 specifically, it just gave a range for all 78-- models: 5v - 18v. My input voltage (when in optimal range of transmitter) is 5V at around 2 amps

Ah sorry, I think I've misunderstood. I thought you were regulating down to 5V from a higher voltage. I don't think I've read the thread properly.

The LM7805 from Fairchild has a dropout voltage of 2v. What this means for you is that the minimum input voltage to get a stable 5v output is 7v. This rises as the load increases. This is why I specifically mentioned low dropout regulators... these have a much small dropout voltage and may be suitable, but it's entirely possible you would need to look at alternative solutions.

One possible alternative is using a zener diode to limit the voltage. Google something like "zener diode voltage regulator" or "zener diode voltage limiter".

A lot of randomness here.

1. We need to understand more about the output of the inductive charger receiver module. You originally mentioned connecting the battery to the coil, but presumably meant to the output of the receiver module. That has its own voltage converter by the look of things, but the info is not very clear about what it outputs. 5V 2A to 12V 700mA, or something. What actually comes out... a regulated voltage? A voltage that is always 12V off-load but falls with increasing load? Before trying to connect any drones or batteries I would begin by trying various resistive loads and seeing what it delivers. Personally I would plot a curve.

2. Having discovered the nature of the output, then we can decide what additional converter, if any, is needed between its output and the drone charging input. I would definitely avoid using 7805 or similar linear regulator, as that could end up wasting over 50% of the limited available power as heat and decreasing the maximum charging rate as a result. A switching buck 3-terminal regulator such as a Traco TSR2-2450 might be a better choice, which is functionally equivalent to a 3-terminal 5V 2A linear but with very little power loss and heat dissipation. But as yet it is too early to say whether this type of regulator is suitable.

3. Alternatively we can look at the option of bypassing the drone's charging circuit and charging the battery directly.

But first things first, characterise the output of the inductive coupler output module...

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by:
Battery requirements: 3-12V at 2-3 amperes

The battery appears to be a 2-cell Li-Ion with a nominal 8.4V charging requirement. Less than 7.4V it won't charge at all, 10V or more it will probably overheat and be damaged. If you are referring to the Mavic charger input, that might be specced for USB-C flavoured voltage options and probably isn't designed to go as low as 3V.

Going back to my point about a linear regulator being wasteful, just take a look at the conversion stages that the power will be going through before it gets to spin the drone motors. For argument's sake I'll take switching stages as 90% efficient, battery 85%:
PSU: 230V AC to 12VDC, 90% out.
Transmitter: 12V DC to HF AC, 81% out.
Receiver: HF AC to 12V? DC, 73% out.
Linear regulator: 12V to 5V, 30% out.
Battery charger: 5V to ~8.4V, 27% out.
Battery charge/discharge efficiency: 23% out.
Motor driver: 21% out.

21% gets to the motors, 79% wasted as heat, of which the linear (e.g. 7805) regulator is responsible for 43%. In real power applications design we try at all costs to avoid this daisy-chain of conversion stages. Ideally you want the inductive receiver to charge the battery directly, but that requires custom electronics.

Reply to Inductive Charging Circuit Design Help in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock