Discuss Industrial- Lighting help needed. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wee_ron

HELP NEEDED....

Myself and another Spark were given a lighting drawing for a plantroom in a new build hospital that contains six separate circuits, emergency lights included in each circuit. The switches are two way and intermediates. There is four banks of two gang switches. My question: How will these switches be able to operate the six circuits? We asked the charge hand if he wanted us to use contactors but they are not in the spec. He has to get back to us tomorrow with an answer. Have the designers made a mistake? This may be easy enough resolved on here but it is baffling the pair of us (the other spark has over 20 years of experience)

Go easy on me please....still wet behind the ears.

The trouble is Ron that unless you get to see the drawing and the spec this as got to be virtually impossible to answer for you.

All we have is 6 circuits each circuit with a set amount of emergency lights. These 6 circuits controlled by 4x2 gang switches. Which are 2 way and intermediate.

Which to me leads to questions like are the 6 circuit split over 3 phases ie 2 circuits per phase, which type of emergency lighting is it maintained or non maintianed, What are the switching arrangements ie what circuits are going to be switched with what switches.

sorry can't be of much more help mate. Perhaps if you could go a little more technical

Sorry the reply took so long malcolm. I asked the chargehand how the lighting circuit was to be supplied but he had to get back to me in a few hours. Why would it matter if the emergency lights were maintained or non maintained? As for the switching arrangement, that was kind of my question..LOL.

I had every other aspect of the installation worked out. I was trying to figure out how they planned to switch 5 lighting circuits with only 2 switches without including contacters (as it indicated on the drawing). But with further investigation the chargehand told me that they planned to have 4 banks of 5 gang switches therefore there was a mistake on the drawing. Halfway through the installation and things are goin smoothly.

Non maintainted operate only in the event of a power supply failure.

Maintained are illuminated at all times (or can be switched on/off like a standard light), and also operate during mains failure. One single lamp does both jobs.

You can also get what is called sustained lighting but thses are rare now, they are a maintained type but but with 2 lamps, one normal and one emergency

Malcolm I know how maintained and non maintained EM lighting works. Not that wet behind the ears, LOL. I know how to wire EM lights, just needed to get my head around the switching because it didnt make sense (as there was a mistake on the drawing).

The EM lights are bulk heads with LED lamps and needs to have a permanent feed, neutral and CPC. The permanent feed is coming off the feed to the switch for each corresponding circuit. Then the EM lights will be controlled by dali cables.

I havent came across the sustained lighting much.

Reply to Industrial- Lighting help needed. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock