Discuss industrial roller shutter door. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Robo

A friend of mine has a 3phase roller door. Under normal circumstances you press the up button and it opens and continues to go up untill the limiter switch kicks in. When it comes down you have to press and hold the down button. I guess this is for safety reasons.

The up button has stopped working but the down button works fine. If you remove the cover and press the contactor buttons you can press and hold it and the door opens and likewise going down. However the up button and down buttons seem to work back to front.(the contactor which i assumed would open actually closes and vice versa.

I went upto the motor and looked at the limiter switch. I tested continuity through the switch to see if it worked and it did.

I have no experience with these doors tbh and im a little baffled and hate being beaten

Does any1 have a simple guide to help me understand the problem and to identfy a faulty part.

Thanks Robo

have you checked the up button and it's cables for continuity ?

the up circuit usually has a few open circuit situations that will stop it working, first the limit switch when the door has reach its full open extent and also its probably run through a normally closed contact on the close relay so if door is closing it wont allow you to activate open. firstly check limit sw then check that you get fully open signal from relay down the cables to controls... disconnect from controls so as to eliminate false readings... then check n/c contact on close door contactor that it is opening and closing as you push the contactor in and out.....

Note all these test are done without power.

ps also check the stop button if physical only no wires is making contact with stop button on contactors, its a bad habit to get into physically pushing contactors in as you over-ride any safety functions which in other situations may cause serious damage.

Last edited:
I have a vague knowledge of these doors, i tried to find a wiring diagram online with no such luch. Does Any1 have 1 or could give me a simple run down on how these work. iv done lighting contsctors but thats it. I dont wanna b beaten but i just dont really know how to check fault parts. The sw worked when i did a continuity through it. But then i dont think its the contactors as it still goes up and down which makes me think its the limiterr sw. I can check continuity of all cables but im doubtful.

An idiots guide would be great lol. thanks

when you say contactor buttons do u mean a normally open contact or are you pushing in the contactor ?

is the door control by PCB and contactors or is it a simple control circuit with contactors ?

Pushing in the contactor. The door works ok when pressing these. Well goes up when held in and goes down when the other contactor is pushed in.

Theres no PCB, just 2x contactors. 1 thermal overload. limiter sw up top on the motor. the control box has an UP and DOWN and STOP.

Are the high and low limit switches standard single pole, SPDT or 2-pole switches and how many wires are connected on them?

Are the up and down buttonswitches standard single pole, SPDT or 2-pole switches and how many wires are connected on them?

if there is a chain to maunually lift and lower the door there should be a bracket attached "limit switch" for the chain to sit on i.e so the motor can not run when the chain is on the pully, had a few issues with these before ii would have a look at this.

to be honest it should be quite a simple circuit, check the obvious first things first thermal over load contact, stop contacts, the up and down limits, coils on the contactor (although not very likley they have both failed,) there should also be a electrical interlock on the contactor and perhaps a mechanical interlock so the up and down contactors cannot come in at the same time. check these contacts etc

if none of this seams to be the issue i would check all the cotinuity of all of the control circuit wiring!

The O/P has said the door works ok when pressing down.... this will omit the chain lever limit switch been the issue, another test although live would be to check for coil voltage when pressing up button.. if yes then contactor faulty if no the backtrack on coil supply until you find where the voltage isnt getting through, its more timely but results the same.

your right this would definatly not be trhe chain limit of the overload i read the O/P a day or so ago i should have re-read ! woops , i stand corrected !

There is a manual chain incase of electric failure, i dont think this had a sw but im not 100% I spoke to my mate whos door it is and he now says the buttons dont work up or down.? The limiter sw has 2 wires to one side of it and 2 wires to the other. Up and down. i can continutiy check the cables but i dont think its this.

as you say the the door would only go up if you physically push the contactor in

sounds to me that its the contactor coil at fualt which is common or if its the old garog type starter with the push rods on the front of the starter lid then most times there not fully pushing in the switch

2nd fualt now your saying its not working up or down chech the chain switch again the chain often slips of the switch of check the overloan stop circuit

and yes dsma regs say that shutters may not be impulse down without any safety equipment eg photocell or safety edge

yes it has the push rods, these seem to work fine and they touch a tiny peg sticking out of the coil i think. so there should be a switch that the chain rests on when its not being used? this mayb faulty?? to check the coil i should get 400v across it when activated. the contactors are made by danfoss.

just a late thought does pushing the up button actually reach the press switch on the contactor as old plastic pushes can wear down ??

doesnt appear to have any wear tbh. I dont think theres any cable faults its a dodgy part, im sure of it.carnt b motor as this works. contactors work when you directly press them in. So i think it has to be coils or a dodgy limit switch

When I got my electric roller shutter installed from*****they where very thorough and everything worked fine with my roller shutter

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to industrial roller shutter door. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net