Discuss Info for landlords (may have been covered already)? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

martind

I’ve just been talking to a sparky about the installation of a new consumer unit in a property that is going to be let.
He has explained to me that being NIC/EIC permits him to certify his own installation work when complete. He explained that he is unable to legally provide a certificate for letting purposes, as letting deems the property to be commercial in nature.
He continued to explain that to obtain a certificate for the purpose of a letting, one must obtain this certificate from an approved “electrical contractor”.
I just thought I would share this information with the forum, and hope that other landlords are aware of the distinction between an installation certificate (that is ok for domestic installations) & an approved contractor’s completion certificate (that is required for properties that are being let).

Thats the biggest load of bull ever, you do not need to be part of any competent persons scheme to do commercial work.
Either you are on a wind up or he is an idiot.

Read your second sentance up to the full stop. He dont want the work!!

Mark, I am greatfull for any correct info. I am not a sparky, but am relying on what sparkys are telling me, including the sparkys on here.

Surely there must be some official docs available? (I don`t want to be on any manslaughter charges)

What a load of old pish. It's well past beer o'clock to start going on about domestic and commercial lettings.

I do and have provided an EIC for a consumer unit I replaced in a domestic property that was being let. Also accompanied with notification to Local Authority Building Control.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is NICEIC are the largest recognized body, which in turn creates its own rules, which now causes people with not little or no experience into thinking they can not do commercial or industrial jobs without being certified by them.

The problem is NICEIC are the largest recognized body, which in turn creates its own rules, which now causes people with not little or no experience into thinking they can not do commercial or industrial jobs without being certified by them.

IIRC it is only the NICEIC who distinguish between Domestic Installer and Approved Contractor?

I am with Elecsa after passing my Domestic Installer course yet I am registered as an Elecsa Part P Approved CONTRACTOR.

Sounds to me like some need to jump ship rather than pay more money:thumbsup

NICEIC used to mean something completely different to what it means today.

It had to dumb down it's entry requirements to compete with the likes of NAPIT and ELECSA to get people to join for PART P.

Not saying competition is a bad thing but the others seemed to have allowed its name to not having the reputation it once had, but now the Electrical Trainee and those straight of college can become members.

I am a member of ELECSA for the record.

Someone clearly has a different NICEIC assessor to me as mine only talks sense :)

No distinction between commercial and non-commercial work. What matters is whether it's residential (Part P notification applies) or non-residential. (This is in England and Wales.)

Following the logic given to the OP by this spark when I was on the Decent Homes programme rewiring houses every EIC I did, and there must have been well over 100, is therefore invalid as all these propertys are let.
What a load of auld tosh

As HandySparks has stated, my understanding of Part Pee is that ''ANY'' residential premises be it for own use, company use, or for letting purposes comes under the Part Pee jurisdiction blanket....

Reply to Info for landlords (may have been covered already)? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock