Discuss info on installing a pv system on a 3 phase system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
i have been asked to install a 9.90kw system on a large roof, which has a 3 phase incoming supply, i have done single phase domestic systems, but never a 3 phase one:

please can explain:

do i need to split the 9.90kw over 3 strings and have a string a phase,
is there one inverter (model number please) or will i need 3 separate inverter,
what fits rate would this come under, would it be 9.90kw or because it is over 3 phases would it be 3.30kw so they would get 41.3p per kw

I have a 3 phase domestic supply and would like to install a 3 kwp system. I have been quoted for what seem to be single phase inverters
Power One Aurora 3.0 and Sunny boy 3000. Does it really matter if only a single phase inverter is used? Thanks

Somewhere in the small print of your connection agreement if you have a 3 phase domestic supply was probably a condition that you draw a balanced load across the phases. I had that about 5 years ago. But frankly if it is only 3kW imbalance I do not think that should be an issue for the DNO even if you are on the end of a thin line in the country. The smallest Sunny Tripower (3 phase) is 8Kw. I have not looked but I doubt you will find an inverter at 3kW 3 phase.
Regards
Bruce

I'm not an electrician so check this one first but I believe the maximum permissible imbalance across phases is 4.6kw that seems to stick in my head from somewhere.

As for 3ph Inverters the smallest I've found is Kostals Piko which comes in 4.2/5.5/8.1 and 10.2 flavours it's a TL so not suitable for everything and it's Euro Eff is not brilliant but a useful product if you need it. Obviously even the 4.2 is too big in this case.

I'm not an electrician so check this one first but I believe the maximum permissible imbalance across phases is 4.6kw that seems to stick in my head from somewhere.

As for 3ph Inverters the smallest I've found is Kostals Piko which comes in 4.2/5.5/8.1 and 10.2 flavours it's a TL so not suitable for everything and it's Euro Eff is not brilliant but a useful product if you need it. Obviously even the 4.2 is too big in this case.

4.6 kw is the German allowed inbalance in the Uk it is 3.7 kw

Also I would think that trying to do this configuration over three phases would not be cost effective or necessary ,for example the meter cost would triple etc

Last edited:

Reply to info on installing a pv system on a 3 phase system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock